Old 22-11-2005, 10:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
meee

Default Birds

"Norman" wrote in message
I've got a great cherry tree which is about 20 foot high. It has a great
amount of cherries but the birds always beat me to them.

Any ideas for next year as this year is too late.

Thanks

My mum just chucks a bird net with smaller holes, about 2in max over her fig
tree; works a treat. If you're in a farming district, as you may be if you
are able to grow cherries, keep an eye out over the next year for old hail
netting at the dump. Look specifically for the netting with larger holes
instead of the tight weave netting, as insects and bees can still get
through. However if you have an insect problem, get the tight weave one;
although it won't get all of them it will get most. another option is
stringing black cotton throughout the tree, accompanied by silver foil pie
tins strung through the tree as well, as many as possible. they will bang
together and flash and make noise which will scare birds, although probably
the nettinbg is more effective. and cheap if you find it at the dump; i
picked up a trailer load for $5

Old 23-11-2005, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
meee

no worries! good luck and i hope it helps.....i looove cherries, but cairns
is too hot for them! Enjoy!!

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"Norman" wrote in message
Thank you for the information. Thank you also sincerely for taking the

time
to reply. I appreciate it.

Again. Thanks