Old 30-01-2006, 02:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Deborah H.

Default Mildew on my Hydrangea leaves

I've got a problem with my Hydrangea plants getting mildew on the
leaves. They are now dropping off and new healthy leaves are forming.
I was wondering why this happened and how to prevent this next time.
Also I've heard that they should have filtered sunlight, this is very
hard to achieve where I am as I like to see them and there is no place
suitable for me to put them.

- Deborah
Old 31-01-2006, 10:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Spiny Norman

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:37:32 +0800, "Deborah H."
wrote in aus.gardens:

I've got a problem with my Hydrangea plants getting mildew on the
leaves. They are now dropping off and new healthy leaves are forming.
I was wondering why this happened and how to prevent this next time.
Also I've heard that they should have filtered sunlight, this is very
hard to achieve where I am as I like to see them and there is no place
suitable for me to put them.

I have a few bushes and they are in shade most of the day but get full
sun late in the afternoon which in summer leaves them looking very sad
and wilted however they have survived this for over 25 years. I think
full sun for any longer would kill them off though

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
Deborah H.

wrote in aus.gardens:

I've got a problem with my Hydrangea plants getting mildew on the
leaves. They are now dropping off and new healthy leaves are forming.
I was wondering why this happened and how to prevent this next time.
Also I've heard that they should have filtered sunlight, this is very
hard to achieve where I am as I like to see them and there is no place
suitable for me to put them.

I have a few bushes and they are in shade most of the day but get full
sun late in the afternoon which in summer leaves them looking very sad
and wilted however they have survived this for over 25 years. I think
full sun for any longer would kill them off though

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Hi Norman, thanks for that, my hydrangea plants have some morning sun on
them which leaves them wilted as well but they perk up once I water
them. I'm sure it's not a problem seeing yours have lasted over 25
years! I was more interested in the mildew side of things, not sure
what's going on there.

Regards
Deborah.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
MG

"Deborah H." wrote in message
I've got a problem with my Hydrangea plants getting mildew on the leaves.
They are now dropping off and new healthy leaves are forming. I was
wondering why this happened and how to prevent this next time. Also I've
heard that they should have filtered sunlight, this is very hard to
achieve where I am as I like to see them and there is no place suitable
for me to put them.

- Deborah

I would be interested in the answer to this problem as well, as for the
second year in a row, the same thing has happened to mine

the plant is on the front verandah, facing east, in a very large terracotta
pot...last year I just trimmed all the affected branches to buds or new
leaves and it recovered well

This year it appears to have been preceded by an infestation of something
like mites? Many of the leaves had a fine webbing over them (can't recall
whether the same thing happened last year)

Maria

Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Deborah H.

MG wrote:
"Deborah H." wrote in message

[...]

The mites can be cured by buying a product from your local nursery and
while your getting onto this problem maybe you could ask them about the
mildew problem. I had a plant with some webbing on it's leaves at a
previous house. I removed the webbing and it came back again. We ended
up renting out the house and I didn't bother investigating further. It
sounds like mites and I'm sure this can be remedied with a plant
insecticide.

- Deborah

Old 04-02-2006, 10:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jock

I was speaking with an elderly gent about this and he was saying that when
you have a few inches of milk left in a bottle / carton, fill the rest of
the container with water, shake it up & splash over the foliage.
Worth a try because his garden is sublime.
Jock

Old 05-02-2006, 02:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
Deborah H.

Jock wrote:
I was speaking with an elderly gent about this and he was saying that when
you have a few inches of milk left in a bottle / carton, fill the rest of
the container with water, shake it up & splash over the foliage.
Worth a try because his garden is sublime.
Jock

Thanks for that, sounds like a good inexpensive remedy,I'll try it. I'll
let you know if it works.

- Deborah