Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
ataman

Default dahlia

Hi,

I've just been given some dahlia tubers dug up from a Canberra garden. Can I
plant them straight into my garden on the South Coast rather than trying to
store them over winter? I have other dahlias in the garden that I leave in
the ground over winter successfully.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Andrew G

"ataman" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just been given some dahlia tubers dug up from a Canberra garden. Can

plant them straight into my garden on the South Coast rather than trying

store them over winter? I have other dahlias in the garden that I leave in
the ground over winter successfully.

If you want to get them in the ground now, you could only get away with it
in an area of the garden that is pretty dry.
That is, that it won't hold water or remain wet if you get rain.
I think that is really the only danger to them, as when we had them on the
council they were in pots. Through winter we simply turned the pots on their
side so they wouldn't catch any rain or water from the sprinklers.
But then if you have Dahilas already the soil you have must be really well
drained, so plant them in similar areas.
Just be cautious if we do ever happen to get a lot of rain.
--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

AD: Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 04-03-2003 12:15 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
David's Dahlia Starlord Gardening 0 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM