GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Triffids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/135977-triffids.html)

Roger Dewhurst 01-03-2006 03:45 AM

Triffids

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Spiny Norman 01-03-2006 04:28 AM

Triffids

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:45:08 +1300, "Roger Dewhurst"
wrote in aus.gardens:

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Put a strong fence around them and watch out for the sting.

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Wolf Kirchmeir 01-03-2006 03:00 PM

Triffids

Roger Dewhurst wrote:
I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Did you see a meteor shower in your area recently?
:-)

SG1 01-03-2006 09:52 PM

Triffids

"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message
I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

Jonno 02-03-2006 12:21 AM

Triffids

madgardener wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message

"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x
2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am
damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

MY triffids were disguised as Cleome
Spinosa................................

madgardener

A picture is worth a thousand words...

zxcvbob 02-03-2006 01:47 AM

Triffids

SG1 wrote:
"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

"And I really got hot, when I saw Jeanette Scott
Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills..."

Best regards,
Bob

Mitchell 03-03-2006 11:03 PM

Triffids

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x
2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am
damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

"And I really got hot, when I saw Jeanette Scott
Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills..."

Best regards,
Bob

Remember they disolve in sea water!

Mitch...

[...]