GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning mint (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/147963-pruning-mint.html)

Sandra Bodycoat 22-07-2006 11:59 AM

Pruning mint

Hi

My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune it & if
so will this have any detrimental effect?
thanks
Sandra

loosecanon 22-07-2006 12:45 PM

Pruning mint

Go hard girl it will jump up when the weather gets warmer. I usually dig the
lot up in a pot I have throw 3/4 away and have an abundance come summer.
Thats the roots as well where the new shoots will come from.

Some dynamic lifter in the pot mid August gets it going.

Cheers

Richard

Sandra Bodycoat 23-07-2006 03:07 PM

Pruning mint

Thanks for that, I gave it a go today but now I might take off some more.
Wouldnt mind some more rain, my tulips are slowly rising, looking forward to
going to Araluen.
cheers
sandra

[email protected] 29-08-2006 04:10 AM

Pruning mint

Ms Leebee wrote:
My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune it
& if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut ;)

The rabbits like it too.

HC 29-08-2006 08:15 AM

Pruning mint

Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

Bronwyn ;-)
Duck breeder from way back!!

Ms Leebee wrote:
wrote:

Ms Leebee wrote:

My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune
it & if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut ;)

The rabbits like it too.

Snails too.

I was surprised to come out one morning and find my abundant mint pot
*gone*, completely - what the hell ( it was there yesterday ?!?!? ).

Reason: 3 snails, plump with minty fresh breath.

[email protected] 29-08-2006 11:20 AM

Pruning mint

HC wrote:
Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

We let our ducks (two boys and a girl, guess they just have
to share) have the run of the backyard. We have no snails and
just a few slugs. But we don't get an egg a day. These are
appleyards and they seem to be very seasonal in their laying.
Then when she does lay, the crows usually get it.

We plan to get a couple of chooks once I have built a yard.
Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Farm1 30-08-2006 12:45 AM

Pruning mint

wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are small
and not as active as bigger hens.

[email protected] 30-08-2006 01:21 AM

Pruning mint

Farm1 wrote:
wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are small
and not as active as bigger hens.

We had some silkies. I was not particularly impressed. I found them
a bit delicate, they aren't great layers and they are too broody.

I plan to fence off a corner of my yard and keep the ducks and a
couple of chooks on deep litter, just letting them out for an hour
or so every now and again. I bought some golden campines for
my dad, and they are very attractive birds. Maybe a bit flighty.
Maybe I will get a pair of australorps.

[email protected] 30-08-2006 03:03 AM

Pruning mint

Ms Leebee wrote:
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find duck eggs
too rich for my palette !

A lot of people say that, but I haven't noticed. We eat them soft
boiled and haven't found them too rich. They have a lovely
green-blue colour though, which could be a bit off-putting. First
time I saw one I thought it was rotten and smashed it on the
back fence.

Even if they are richer, they should be fine for cakes, pancakes etc.

I like seeing them at park ponds though, and throwing bread to them :)

You really shouldn't do that. Bread isn't good for them, especially
if you chuck it in the water where it can cause botulism.

Ducks have great personality and are very hardy. They don't
seem to suffer from colds, mites, heat exhaustion or any of the
other chicken maladies. Pity they don't lay better. Indian Runners
are supposed to be good layers.

Barbara[_2_] 30-08-2006 07:10 AM

Pruning mint

Ms Leebee wrote:
HC wrote:
Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

Bronwyn ;-)
Duck breeder from way back!!

Except for my childhood memories of being chased by ducks and
slipping over in their very slippery poo ;)
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find
duck eggs too rich for my palette !

I like seeing them at park ponds though, and throwing bread to them :)

Is that some sort of revenge.

It's very bad for them, shame on you.

:-)

Barbara[_2_] 30-08-2006 07:11 AM

Pruning mint

Ms Leebee wrote:
wrote:
Ms Leebee wrote:
My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune
it & if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut ;)

The rabbits like it too.

Snails too.

I was surprised to come out one morning and find my abundant mint pot
*gone*, completely - what the hell ( it was there yesterday ?!?!? ).

Reason: 3 snails, plump with minty fresh breath.

You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid of snails.

HC 30-08-2006 07:20 AM

Pruning mint

How mean to make those drakes share their duck? Shame on you!! ROFLMHO!!

Why not get a trio (one drake and two ducks) of Indian Runners.....they
are very tall and high egg producers. Don't each much either and also
great people!!

Have to try and discourage the crow...get a white quartz stone, or paint
a stone, about the same size as an egg and leave it out for the crow.
Another very good remedy is not printable!! ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

[email protected] 30-08-2006 07:23 AM

Pruning mint

Barbara wrote:
You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid of snails.

Yes, but I leap 6 feet in the air whenever I disturb one.

HC 30-08-2006 07:25 AM

Pruning mint

Are you sure you aren't confusing Muscovies with ducks? Muskies are
genetically, a goose. The poop is very smelly and their eggs (being
geese) are a little stronger. Duck eggs, on the other hand, taste the
same as hen eggs, albeit a bit larger. They make fantastic pavlovas,
scrambled eggs etc. .....aahhhh, wishing I had some ducks in my garden!!

Feeding any animals, particularly ducks, totally on bread is not good
for them, they put on too much fat and it can swell in their crop and
kill them. Would you like a diet of bread? ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

ant[_5_] 30-08-2006 02:19 PM

Pruning mint

Farm1 wrote:
wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are small
and not as active as bigger hens.

yeah, they're nice. We had a large and expanding gang of langsheng bantams
for some years, and they were nice in the garden, although they liked
dustbaths and took over a sunny spot in the garden to have them. They didn't
wreck stuff though, or behave in a disgraceful manner like larger chooks.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

ant[_5_] 30-08-2006 02:22 PM

Pruning mint

wrote:
Ms Leebee wrote:
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find
duck eggs too rich for my palette !

A lot of people say that, but I haven't noticed. We eat them soft
boiled and haven't found them too rich. They have a lovely
green-blue colour though, which could be a bit off-putting. First
time I saw one I thought it was rotten and smashed it on the
back fence.

we had ducks for years, Khaki Campbells. The eggs were "normal", just large,
and I often got upset guts from them. They were very "eggy". A cake with the
number of eggs in where the recipe was for chook eggs was distinctly eggy.

Khaki Campbells laid a lot. Pooed a lot, too.

Farm1 31-08-2006 01:04 AM

Pruning mint

wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are

small
and not as active as bigger hens.

We had some silkies. I was not particularly impressed. I found them
a bit delicate, they aren't great layers and they are too broody.

I don't like them either but many gardeners swear by them.

Maybe I will get a pair of australorps.

Of the readily available pure breeds, I like Autralorps the best.

Farm1 31-08-2006 01:07 AM

Pruning mint

"Barbara" wrote in message

You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid of

snails.

The only problem with that is that Blue Tongues and snakes both like
exactly the same sort of garden.

[email protected] 31-08-2006 01:49 AM

Pruning mint

HC wrote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing Muscovies with ducks? Muskies are
genetically, a goose.

I have heard that before, and certainly Muscovies are very goose-like
(they hiss rather than quack). But they cross-breed with other ducks,
so I guess that makes them the same species?

Farm1 31-08-2006 02:03 AM

Pruning mint

wrote in message

HC wrote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing Muscovies with ducks? Muskies

are
genetically, a goose.

I have heard that before, and certainly Muscovies are very

goose-like
(they hiss rather than quack). But they cross-breed with other

ducks,
so I guess that makes them the same species?

Horses and donkeys interbreed and they are the same species being both
from the equidae family. The offspring (mules and hinnies) are
(almost) always sterile. I'm fairly sure that the same "species" rule
applies to both Muscovies and ducks and I know that the sterility bit
does. I've yet to hear of the offspring of the duck/muscovy mating
being fertile.

HC 31-08-2006 05:53 AM

Pruning mint

None of my family thought duck eggs had an 'eggy' taste, although
Muscovy eggs, as do other goose eggs, had a stronger flavour.

Their feed will make the eggs taste....when I first got ducks I threw
out some leftover curry, sure enough the eggs the next day had a
distinct curry flavour and were a strange colour. Just make sure they
get plenty of green pickings and access to fresh water (although they
like to play it their drinking water too) and the eggs will taste more
hen-like. I always added some laying pellets to their feed bin but
quite often it's very salty...taste some of the pellets yourself is the
best test, I found. Not all laying pellets are equal!!

We ate the eggs soft-boiled, scrambled, poached, fried and any other way
I could think of to cook them as well as cakes, pavlovas, caramel
pies...the list goes on and on.

HC 31-08-2006 05:55 AM

Pruning mint

Muscovies take 35 days to hatch....as do geese. Ducks, on the other
hand, hatch in 28 days. Muscovies will breed with anything...our dog
discovered this one day much to his disgust!! ROFLMHO!!

HC 31-08-2006 05:58 AM

Pruning mint

I'm guessing they would be sterile. Because I had up to 11 different
breeds of duck, only one breed were allowed out of their yard each day
during breeding season. I had way too many orders to get caught up with
crossbreeds.

HC 31-08-2006 06:00 AM

Pruning mint

The Blueys that live in my garden poked their heads out on Sunday for
the first time this season. They were waiting for the obligatory bit of
chuck steak.

ant[_5_] 31-08-2006 02:01 PM

Pruning mint

HC wrote:
None of my family thought duck eggs had an 'eggy' taste, although
Muscovy eggs, as do other goose eggs, had a stronger flavour.

Their feed will make the eggs taste....when I first got ducks I threw
out some leftover curry, sure enough the eggs the next day had a
distinct curry flavour and were a strange colour. Just make sure they
get plenty of green pickings and access to fresh water (although they
like to play it their drinking water too) and the eggs will taste more
hen-like. I always added some laying pellets to their feed bin but
quite often it's very salty...taste some of the pellets yourself is
the best test, I found. Not all laying pellets are equal!!

Our ducks ranged over a 5 acre farm all day, and went into their shed at
night.

ant[_5_] 31-08-2006 02:03 PM

Pruning mint

Farm1 wrote:
"Barbara" wrote in message

You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid
of snails.

The only problem with that is that Blue Tongues and snakes both like
exactly the same sort of garden.

yes. Whenever I see them (the lizards) appear, my snake-hackles go up.
****ing browns.

I have some of those weird blunt lizards also, and horny ones that have
claws and drag themselves around. they come out first, and then it's time to
look out for the Browns.

Farm1 01-09-2006 01:57 PM

Pruning mint

"HC" wrote in message
The Blueys that live in my garden poked their heads out on Sunday

for
the first time this season. They were waiting for the obligatory

bit of
chuck steak.

We used to have a bit of 4 inch aggie drainage pipe sticking out of
the ground in a previous house. In this pipe lived the fattest and
biggest Bluie I've ever seen. One day I caught my husband throwing
snails down into the pipe. When I asked him what he was doing he
looked a bit embarrassed and said he was feeding the Blue. He'd
apparently been doing it for about a year. No wonder the Bluie was so
big :-))

I haven't seen one yet. Still too cold.

Farm1 01-09-2006 02:17 PM

Pruning mint

"ant" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"Barbara" wrote in message

You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting

rid
of snails.

The only problem with that is that Blue Tongues and snakes both

like
exactly the same sort of garden.

yes. Whenever I see them (the lizards) appear, my snake-hackles go

up.
****ing browns.

:-)) Yes. I also have a resident Tiger Snake along wiht my residnet
Brown. Brown near the front door Tiger at the back. Want either to
add to your collection?

I have some of those weird blunt lizards also, and horny ones that

have
claws and drag themselves around. they come out first, and then it's

time to
look out for the Browns.

What sort is that lizard?

ant[_5_] 02-09-2006 01:34 AM

Pruning mint

Farm1 wrote:

I have some of those weird blunt lizards also, and horny ones that
have claws and drag themselves around. they come out first, and
then it's time to look out for the Browns.

What sort is that lizard?

Dunno. Some are armour-plated, and their front looks like the back, sort of
blunt at both ends. Some others are armour plated, but thinner and longer
and pointier, with claws. Some sort-of drag themselves around on their
stomachs, using their claws to pull them along. There's a few blue tongues,
too.

Apparently the chihuahuas killed a lizard last week. One had been obsessed
with lizards for years, spending hours motionless gazing fixedly at the rock
wall. I guess he finally got one. My brother found the two of them eating
it.

Linda H 02-09-2006 09:20 AM

Pruning mint

ant wrote:

Dunno. Some are armour-plated, and their front looks like the back, sort of
blunt at both ends.

Sounds like the Stumpy Tail, ant (Trachydosaurus rugosus.) I din't know
that scientific name tho' - Googled it.

We've had a couple of Tiger snakes hanging 'round last summer, too.

I really wanted to put some sort of rock creek bed-like pond thing in
this year (I like that we have wild ducks coming daily and thought
they'd love it) but people have been telling me it will attract the
snakes. I don't mind that so much coz they're around anyway and I
figure at least I'll know where they're more likely to be. I just worry
our dogs will also be attracted to it and stumble upon one.

L.

Chookie 02-09-2006 09:38 AM

Pruning mint

In article , "ant"
wrote:

Dunno. Some are armour-plated, and their front looks like the back, sort of
blunt at both ends. Some others are armour plated, but thinner and longer
and pointier, with claws.

Shinglebacks?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Farm1 02-09-2006 11:32 AM

Pruning mint

"ant" wrote in message

Apparently the chihuahuas killed a lizard last week. One had been

obsessed
with lizards for years, spending hours motionless gazing fixedly at

the rock
wall. I guess he finally got one. My brother found the two of them

eating
it.

I can understand that, the tails are often full of what looks like
fat.

Farm1 02-09-2006 11:40 AM

Pruning mint

"Linda H" wrote in message
We've had a couple of Tiger snakes hanging 'round last summer, too.

I really wanted to put some sort of rock creek bed-like pond thing

in
this year (I like that we have wild ducks coming daily and thought
they'd love it) but people have been telling me it will attract the
snakes. I don't mind that so much coz they're around anyway and I
figure at least I'll know where they're more likely to be. I just

worry
our dogs will also be attracted to it and stumble upon one.

One of our dogs was bitten by a Brown in the final days of Autumn.
$950 later he came home and was so sick that he just lay on the lounge
for 2 weeks and wouldn't even lift his head. Just followed us with
his eyes. Now he is as fit as flea.

The record for dog bites round here is 8 bites in 8 years for a dog.
I didn't think they could take so many bites but I know the family and
the dog belonged to to one of the offspring who they lost in a plane
crash. They think of the dog as the last link to the lost offspring
they keep dragging it off to the vet each time it gets bitten.

HC 05-09-2006 05:00 AM

Pruning mint

Well I'm afraid I spoil the Bluey's who live on my garden too....they
soon found they could go through the laundry into the garage and then
into the house where they would wander at their own pace until they
found me. One day I was sitting here at my computer and had this
feeling someone was watching me, so I stopped typing and looked out the
window....no one there!! Went back to what I was doing and the feeling
returned....another peer out the window and still nothing. Then finally
I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in the other
direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against something on the
floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's at my feet looking up
as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our tucker?' Very smartly I
fitted a screen door between the garage and dining room but for the next
two weeks they used to sit there all day....the piles of dung as
evidence. That year they cost me a new freezer as they wintered near
the warm motor in the garage.

These days they wait outside the doors but still hang around waiting for
tidbits.

Bronwyn ;-)

Farm1 05-09-2006 07:24 AM

Pruning mint

"HC" wrote in message
[...]

Now I can also empathise with that! In the house where my husband
used to feed the big bloke, we had one which would come and lie in
front of the slow combustion stove. Used to scare the crap out of me
as I'd come into the kitchen and see something scuttle on the floor
out of the corner of my eye. To this day I still have no idea where
he hid when he wasn't basking by the fire.

It always worried me that if a Bluie could find his way in then it
would be so much easier for a snake to do so given that they only need
a hole the size of a thumb.

ant[_5_] 05-09-2006 12:47 PM

Pruning mint

HC wrote:

Then finally I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in
the other direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against
something on the floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's
at my feet looking up as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our
tucker?'

They were hoping you would die so they could feed on you.
I hope the snakes have come out of hibernation. It's about to get cold and
very wet, and hopefully they'll die (and the lizards can feed on THEM).

Linda H 05-09-2006 03:48 PM

Pruning mint

HC wrote:

Then finally
I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in the other
direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against something on the
floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's at my feet looking up
as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our tucker?'

Aw cute. I had no idea they could become so tame as to come looking for
you.

We have a couple of very big piles of cleared (fallen) old logs &
underbrush that will need burning before it gets too warm. I'm a bit
worried that they may have become homes for lizards and other wildlife,
so does anybody know how I could try to flush them out before we set
fire to these huge heaps?

I certainly don't want to cook poor lil' lizards if they're in there (or
even snakes actually.)