Old 22-07-2006, 11:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat

Default Pruning mint

Hi

My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune it & if
so will this have any detrimental effect?
thanks
Sandra

Old 22-07-2006, 12:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Go hard girl it will jump up when the weather gets warmer. I usually dig the
lot up in a pot I have throw 3/4 away and have an abundance come summer.
Thats the roots as well where the new shoots will come from.

Some dynamic lifter in the pot mid August gets it going.

Cheers

Richard

Old 23-07-2006, 03:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat

Thanks for that, I gave it a go today but now I might take off some more.
Wouldnt mind some more rain, my tulips are slowly rising, looking forward to
going to Araluen.
cheers
sandra

Old 29-08-2006, 04:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ms Leebee wrote:
My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune it
& if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut

The rabbits like it too.

Old 29-08-2006, 08:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

Bronwyn ;-)
Duck breeder from way back!!

Ms Leebee wrote:
wrote:

Ms Leebee wrote:

My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune
it & if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut

The rabbits like it too.

Snails too.

I was surprised to come out one morning and find my abundant mint pot
*gone*, completely - what the hell ( it was there yesterday ?!?!? ).

Reason: 3 snails, plump with minty fresh breath.

Old 29-08-2006, 11:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

We let our ducks (two boys and a girl, guess they just have
to share) have the run of the backyard. We have no snails and
just a few slugs. But we don't get an egg a day. These are
appleyards and they seem to be very seasonal in their laying.
Then when she does lay, the crows usually get it.

We plan to get a couple of chooks once I have built a yard.
Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Old 30-08-2006, 12:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are small
and not as active as bigger hens.

Old 30-08-2006, 01:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
wrote in message

Ducks are pretty garden friendly, but chooks will turn the
garden into a desolation.

Try Silkies if you want to try chooks in the garden. They are small
and not as active as bigger hens.

We had some silkies. I was not particularly impressed. I found them
a bit delicate, they aren't great layers and they are too broody.

I plan to fence off a corner of my yard and keep the ducks and a
couple of chooks on deep litter, just letting them out for an hour
or so every now and again. I bought some golden campines for
my dad, and they are very attractive birds. Maybe a bit flighty.
Maybe I will get a pair of australorps.

Old 30-08-2006, 03:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ms Leebee wrote:
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find duck eggs
too rich for my palette !

A lot of people say that, but I haven't noticed. We eat them soft
boiled and haven't found them too rich. They have a lovely
green-blue colour though, which could be a bit off-putting. First
time I saw one I thought it was rotten and smashed it on the
back fence.

Even if they are richer, they should be fine for cakes, pancakes etc.

I like seeing them at park ponds though, and throwing bread to them

You really shouldn't do that. Bread isn't good for them, especially
if you chuck it in the water where it can cause botulism.

Ducks have great personality and are very hardy. They don't
seem to suffer from colds, mites, heat exhaustion or any of the
other chicken maladies. Pity they don't lay better. Indian Runners
are supposed to be good layers.

Old 30-08-2006, 07:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ms Leebee wrote:
HC wrote:
Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

Bronwyn ;-)
Duck breeder from way back!!

Except for my childhood memories of being chased by ducks and
slipping over in their very slippery poo
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find
duck eggs too rich for my palette !

I like seeing them at park ponds though, and throwing bread to them

Is that some sort of revenge.

It's very bad for them, shame on you.

:-)

Old 30-08-2006, 07:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Blueys are good too........but don't lay an egg each day, at least mine
don't!!

Bronwyn ;-)

Barbara wrote:

Ms Leebee wrote:

wrote:

Ms Leebee wrote:

My mint is looking pretty straggly, I was wondering should I prune
it & if so will this have any detrimental effect?

Nope. It loves a haircut

The rabbits like it too.

Snails too.

I was surprised to come out one morning and find my abundant mint pot
*gone*, completely - what the hell ( it was there yesterday ?!?!? ).

Reason: 3 snails, plump with minty fresh breath.

You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid of snails.

Old 30-08-2006, 07:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

How mean to make those drakes share their duck? Shame on you!! ROFLMHO!!

Why not get a trio (one drake and two ducks) of Indian Runners.....they
are very tall and high egg producers. Don't each much either and also
great people!!

Have to try and discourage the crow...get a white quartz stone, or paint
a stone, about the same size as an egg and leave it out for the crow.
Another very good remedy is not printable!! ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 30-08-2006, 07:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

Barbara wrote:
You need some lizards, Blue tongues are very good for getting rid of snails.

Yes, but I leap 6 feet in the air whenever I disturb one.

Old 30-08-2006, 07:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Are you sure you aren't confusing Muscovies with ducks? Muskies are
genetically, a goose. The poop is very smelly and their eggs (being
geese) are a little stronger. Duck eggs, on the other hand, taste the
same as hen eggs, albeit a bit larger. They make fantastic pavlovas,
scrambled eggs etc. .....aahhhh, wishing I had some ducks in my garden!!

Feeding any animals, particularly ducks, totally on bread is not good
for them, they put on too much fat and it can swell in their crop and
kill them. Would you like a diet of bread? ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

Ms Leebee wrote:

HC wrote:

Aha.....you need a pair of ducks (or more) in the garden to eat the
snails and slugs. Ducks are lovely people, very friendly and she will
reward you every day with a nice fresh egg.

Bronwyn ;-)
Duck breeder from way back!!

Except for my childhood memories of being chased by ducks and slipping over
in their very slippery poo
I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find duck eggs
too rich for my palette !

I like seeing them at park ponds though, and throwing bread to them

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM