GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree for aviary? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/148889-tree-aviary.html)

Scott Davies 19-08-2006 09:05 AM

Tree for aviary?

Im looking for a plant to put in a finch aviary.
The tree will be potted and receive regular drip irrigation. Thin or small
leaves would be best.
I thought of a melaleuca leucodendra, that I would basically bonsai.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?\

Thanks,
Scott.

Linda H 19-08-2006 12:37 PM

Tree for aviary?

Scott Davies wrote:
Im looking for a plant to put in a finch aviary.
The tree will be potted and receive regular drip irrigation. Thin or

small
leaves would be best.
I thought of a melaleuca leucodendra, that I would basically bonsai.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?\

Thanks,
Scott.

A very small leafed tree that I am partial to is the Shishi-Gashira
(sp?)- a Japanese maple with lovely tight leaf bunches would look
terrific with delicate little finches. Very pretty but it's deciduous
and I wouldn't know whether that's suitable for an aviary.

At a house we used to rent there were some massive Silky Oaks and tiny
little wild finches seemed to hang around them a lot. They also liked a
big old Banksia that was there.

Perhaps some of the native bird-attracting bushes like Bottle Brush
types might be suitable. Just guessing tho'. Would they like some of
the sweet nectar producing plants? But the Leucodentra you already
thought of sounds great. Some of the experts from in here will know if
they suit, for sure.

[email protected] 19-08-2006 11:20 PM

Tree for aviary?

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:37:50 +1000, Linda H wrote:

A very small leafed tree that I am partial to is the Shishi-Gashira
(sp?)- a Japanese maple with lovely tight leaf bunches would look

Shishi gashira is a camellia sasanqua. Are you thinking of the red stemmed maple called 'Senkaki'
(also called 'Sango Kaku')?

Linda H 20-08-2006 12:26 AM

Tree for aviary?

wrote:

Shishi gashira is a camellia sasanqua. Are you thinking of the red stemmed maple called 'Senkaki'
(also called 'Sango Kaku')?

Hmm, it's kinda confusing because I wanted to get another one because we
sold that house where I'd featured it in a Japanese style garden and I
really loved that tree.

When I bought it the nurseryman told me it was a Shishi gashira (an Acer
palmatum) and so when I went looking for it on the web, yes the name
kept coming up with the Camellia sasanqua, which yes I found was called
that too.

But it definitely wasn't that. The maple I had didn't have a red stem, no.

I eventually found one by that name that was exactly the same as the one
I had and I since found a couple at nurseries. Maybe they told me the
wrong name?

I just did another search and there were plenty and many called it the
"Lion's Head Maple."

The large picture on this page is definitely it.
http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/a/acpshi.htm

also he
http://japanese-maple.com/shishigashira_grafted.html

http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees2.html