Old 16-10-2006, 12:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default NZ Christmas tree & birds?

Does anyone know if NZ Christmas Trees are beneficial to wildlife in NSW?

I purchased one recently, but there was no mention on the information tag
about whether or not the plant attracts birds etc.

Cynthia.

Old 19-10-2006, 06:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Cynthia,
Being an ex-Kiwi, I can tell you the Pohutukawa trees certainly attract bees
and are prolific nectar producers - so much that you can buy Pohutukawa
honey.

Therefore I'd expect local nectar feeding insects and bird would be
interested.

Cheers,
Geoff

Old 20-10-2006, 06:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks Geoff,

That's very interesting. Not being from these parts, I suddenly worried that
it may not have been a wise buy, but I hoped that with NZ being so close,
that there may be some shared interest from creatures over here.

From reading info on the web, I gather that we have mainly large birds here
in the city centre (Sydney), but I hope that someone will find it of use
other than myself.

Best,

Cynthia :-)