GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stolen garden lights... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/150936-stolen-garden-lights.html)

[email protected] 14-11-2006 12:27 AM

Stolen garden lights...

I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds
(they are quite cheap fortunately!)...the ones that you simply poke
into the ground. But soon after some of the lights were stolen, which
we actually got back as a kind neighbour found them in his front yard.
But over the weekend 5 entire lights were stolen, and this time I don't
think they are coming back. Anyone else had this problem, and more
importantly, does anyone have any ideas how to stop this?! Had ideas of
chaining them together underground, or perhaps trying to lay them in a
concrete block underground. Personally I'd probably wire up the metal
casing to the 240V supply, but my wife is stopping me.. :) Thanks for
any ideas.

BH

Terryc 14-11-2006 01:07 AM

Stolen garden lights...

wrote:
I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds

Thanks for any ideas.

Can you drill a hole and put a largish tent pag through at an angle?

Bury a holey brick and have a loop of heavy wire connecting the two.

Buy a false surveilance camera?
Install a real surveillance camera and PC capture card?

Leftred 14-11-2006 01:24 AM

Stolen garden lights...

wrote in message
oups.com...

I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds
(they are quite cheap fortunately!)...the ones that you simply poke
into the ground. But soon after some of the lights were stolen, which
we actually got back as a kind neighbour found them in his front yard.
But over the weekend 5 entire lights were stolen, and this time I don't
think they are coming back. Anyone else had this problem, and more
importantly, does anyone have any ideas how to stop this?! Had ideas of
chaining them together underground, or perhaps trying to lay them in a
concrete block underground. Personally I'd probably wire up the metal
casing to the 240V supply, but my wife is stopping me.. :) Thanks for
any ideas.

BH

Why bother? They are virtually useless as lights anyway. If you must have
lights in your garden, buy a 12volt system.

Rod Out Back 14-11-2006 02:12 AM

Stolen garden lights...

On 13 Nov 2006 16:27:53 -0800, wrote:

I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds
(they are quite cheap fortunately!)...the ones that you simply poke
into the ground. But soon after some of the lights were stolen, which
we actually got back as a kind neighbour found them in his front yard.
But over the weekend 5 entire lights were stolen, and this time I don't
think they are coming back. Anyone else had this problem, and more
importantly, does anyone have any ideas how to stop this?! Had ideas of
chaining them together underground, or perhaps trying to lay them in a
concrete block underground. Personally I'd probably wire up the metal
casing to the 240V supply, but my wife is stopping me.. :) Thanks for
any ideas.

BH

Cheap electric fence unit with some hot-tape run around so they have to lean
over it to nick the lights? That'll spook them up. A zap will most likely
remove the incentive to nick garden lights...

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Dave -Turner 15-11-2006 01:43 PM

Stolen garden lights...

Thieves are stupid (if they weren't they'd have a job) ... try superglueing
a padlock to each light as a visual deterent. The idiots will see the
padlock, assume it has been protected and proceed elsewhere. In a way it's
such a stupid idea, but then people who steal $10 garden lights are pretty
stupid in their own rights.

John Savage 16-11-2006 06:12 AM

Stolen garden lights...

writes:
I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds
(they are quite cheap fortunately!)...the ones that you simply poke
into the ground. But soon after some of the lights were stolen, which

I'm surprised that theft hasn't been the fate of most of these simple
lights. Even were you to fix them into concrete, their top simply press
fits onto the support spike so you'd probably be left with just a row of
decapitated plastic supports if they are the sort I'm thinking of.

Maybe you could concrete some short lengths of galvanised pipe of the
right diameter into the ground and then fit the lamp's optic assembly onto
the pipe as an alternative mount? Thwart theft of the lamp assembly by
liberal use of epoxy resin to bond the assembly to the pipe and to also
bond all of the lamp pieces together. This will mean you probably will not
be able to access the NiCd battery should it ever need replacing, but these
probably have a MTBF of a couple of years anyway.

If this sounds like too much trouble, just fit one with GPS and wireless
internet and set it to email you its coordinates hourly. :-)

Jonno[_1_] 16-11-2006 10:16 AM

Stolen garden lights...

John Savage wrote:
writes:
[...]

Rite on bro.Yo seems to have the techno bit, git to fit the sit.

Bigbazza 19-11-2006 03:38 AM

Stolen garden lights...

wrote in message
oups.com...

I've recently tried to put in solar lights in our front garden beds
(they are quite cheap fortunately!)...the ones that you simply poke
into the ground. But soon after some of the lights were stolen, which
we actually got back as a kind neighbour found them in his front yard.
But over the weekend 5 entire lights were stolen, and this time I don't
think they are coming back. Anyone else had this problem, and more
importantly, does anyone have any ideas how to stop this?! Had ideas of
chaining them together underground, or perhaps trying to lay them in a
concrete block underground. Personally I'd probably wire up the metal
casing to the 240V supply, but my wife is stopping me.. :) Thanks for
any ideas.

BH

I like your preference..BH...Wire them to 240v...That would get rid of the
Bast...d's ''...Mind ..you would have to find a place to put them too ...
VBG....

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

SG1 19-11-2006 08:43 PM

Stolen garden lights...

"Bigbazza" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Be ambitious giant concrete garden gnomes, might have to disguise the faces
though. Can't make it easy for the coppers to find missing tea leaves can
we?????
Jim
In almost crime free sth inland Qld. Lots of big gnomes though!!!!!!!

meeee 20-11-2006 12:55 AM

Stolen garden lights...

"SG1" wrote in message

"Bigbazza" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

LMAO....scarecrows up our way :)

robertjackman 09-04-2011 12:03 PM

I find it very strange that the flight has not been the most likely fate of these lights. Even if you set them in concrete, as long as the support by the edge, you may only have a row of plastic hangers suit left beheaded. Maybe you can short the diameter of the concrete on the ground the appropriate length of galvanized steel, and then loaded on the fluorescent tubes light assembly.

oldcodger 13-04-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertjackman (Post 917393)
I find it very strange that the flight has not been the most likely fate of these lights. Even if you set them in concrete, as long as the support by the edge, you may only have a row of plastic hangers suit left beheaded. Maybe you can short the diameter of the concrete on the ground the appropriate length of galvanized steel, and then loaded on the fluorescent tubes light assembly.

I`m afraid I cant throw any light on the problem.

djcooker 16-08-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcodger (Post 917717)
I`m afraid I cant throw any light on the problem.

i think thieve is not a good thing