GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bamboos (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/151309-bamboos.html)

davo 02-12-2006 12:29 PM

bamboos

Have just cut back some bamboos and have poisoned the stumps as suggested
on the "Roundup" bottle.Seems to be slowly working ok,but my query is
this.How soon can I start digging out the roots.?.Iff I dig too early they
may not be completely dead and may shoot again.I need the ground for some
fruit trees but someone has said that it may take up to three years.
Hoping for your help
Thank you
D.S.

--
replace here-to with bigpond

Andrew Gabb 09-12-2006 10:21 PM

bamboos

davo wrote:
Have just cut back some bamboos and have poisoned the stumps as suggested
on the "Roundup" bottle.Seems to be slowly working ok,but my query is
this.How soon can I start digging out the roots.?.Iff I dig too early they
may not be completely dead and may shoot again.I need the ground for some
fruit trees but someone has said that it may take up to three years.

If the ground's reasonably soft, I'd dig the roots out first. It's
relatively easy using a mattock.

If any sprout from then on, use a tree killer. Roundup etc. doesn't
have much effect on serious 'woody' pests like bamboo, blackberry
and ivy.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb