GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Coriander in Sydney (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/160707-coriander-sydney.html)

Terryc 25-06-2007 12:39 AM

Coriander in Sydney

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

FarmI 25-06-2007 10:39 AM

Coriander in Sydney

"Terryc" wrote in message
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it bolts
to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

I don't know Sydney's climate well enough but I would have thought it was a
bit early for planting Coriander. And the only real way I've found to avoid
the bolting problem is to succession sow. It seems to be a natural bolter
IMHO.

Rheilly Phoull 25-06-2007 11:08 AM

Coriander in Sydney

"Terryc" wrote in message
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it bolts
to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

I don't know Sydney's climate well enough but I would have thought it was
a bit early for planting Coriander. And the only real way I've found to
avoid the bolting problem is to succession sow. It seems to be a natural
bolter IMHO.

Seconded :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

[email protected][_2_] 25-06-2007 02:08 PM

Coriander in Sydney

On Jun 25, 9:39 am, Terryc wrote:
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Interesting that in an international NG we pin down location to a
single city assuming that is sufficient information. However there is
quite a difference in climate between the west and the coast.

I would give it a go you may well get some growth especially if you
are near the ocean and don't get very cold nights. If you care to go
to the trouble of starting the seeds indoors you would very likely
have success. Coriander is not frost sensitive but could be slow to
germinate if the soil is cold. At Manly I used to plant from April
til August and forget about it in the hot months.

David

Richard Wright 27-06-2007 08:42 PM

Coriander in Sydney

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:39:06 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Try planting Mexican Coriander (Etyngium foetidum) as a backup. It
doesn't bolt.

I can't tell the difference in flavour between it and true coriander.
Both belong to the same plant family, but look totally dissimilar.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/fr...coriander.html

Google on "Mexican coriander" for Australia only and you will find a
number of suppliers.

Richard Wright 27-06-2007 08:43 PM

Coriander in Sydney

wrote:

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Try planting Mexican Coriander (Etyngium foetidum) as a backup. It
doesn't bolt.

I can't tell the difference in flavour between it and true coriander.
Both belong to the same plant family, but look totally dissimilar.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/fr...coriander.html

Google on "Mexican coriander" for Australia only and you will find a
number of suppliers.

Sorry for the typo. It's Latin name is Eryngium foetidum.