GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Love the lack of water dont you? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/165629-love-lack-water-dont-you.html)

cp 06-10-2007 05:53 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:36:08 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

jh wrote:

If I was the PM I'd forget about the murrey darling basin and build
each state a couple of desal plants whioch are about $350 million
each. Each plant in Perth caters for about 300,000 people.

1) Little John would rather funds parties than build any infrastruture
for Australia. his legacy is going to be the squandering of the good
economic times that PK lined up.

Water is the responceability of the states as is the hospital system
which is in a god awful mess.

2) Climate change. To power desal, you are going to need a new coal
fired power station. Nukes are not going to happen in my lifetime.

Power stations are owned by the state governemets, blame them for coal
power station building.

3) Little Johnny's fiddle in the Murray Darling is to shaft the Murray
Darling voters and win votes in marginal city areas. This is why Malcolm
Turnbull is getting shafted atm; he hasn't woken up to it. Little Johnny
doesn't want control of the Murray Darling,because then he would have to
do something. He just wanted to say "well I tried and those nasty nasty
states wouldn't let me"

4) Is this a core promise, non-core core promise, or something else? In
case you've forgotten your bed mate Janet has let the cat out of the bag
with her "promise them anything to get their support and then dump the
idiots" quote.

Now, can we get back to gardening. Please.

You need water to have a garden. Without it you are stuffed.

cp 06-10-2007 06:01 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:55:44 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"jh" wrote in message news:470675a2.392796@news-server...

From what I have observed is that WA is the ONLY state in Australia
that has planned ahead uears ago. We have desalination plants and our
dams are now at 43% after the winter rains.

Is that an across the State figure or just the figure for Perth?

Its on the nightly 6pm news where they show the figure of Perth water.
One of the dams overflowed which was criminal. They can pump that
excess water to other dams but it looks good for them to show a dam
over flowing:(

If you want to know some of the figures for the Eastern States then you can
check them out here. You might find that Perths water storage is not
brilliant by comparison.
http://www.sca.nsw.gov.au/ Sydney is at 58%
http://waterinfo.nsw.gov.au/sr/StorageSummary.html Country NSW - some
storage is non existent or dire but some is OK
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/con...s.asp?bhcp=1#1
Melbourne is 40%
http://www.seqwater.com.au/content/s...AndMaintenance
SEQ is 21%

The same is happening with our power schemes. They haven't planned or
built anything to expand, which was what usually happened when the
Government used to run the show. instead any profits are swallowed up by
so called investors who brought the infrastructure for a song.
Why do we keep selling out to organisations like this?

To pay off ALP debt:(

The only other way is to raise taxes which no one likes.

No it's not. One of the ways that we could have improved services right
across the board is if the current Goverment actually decided to DO
something with the huge surplus it is sitting on.

States run the power grid, water, etc...

And the really disturbing thing about this surplus is that most Australians
are too tied to one political party to use their heads and actually think.

Pot kettle black. When are you going to understand that the federal
government has nothing to do with the power, water and hospitals in
each state of Australia. These are all run or sold by state
governments. Both Lib and ALP when in power have had to sell off
assets to pay for infrastructure.

You can only save so much. Rudd is going to have more waste with too
many departments which isn't going to be cheap. He's not said how he's
going to pay for it all. Meanwhile the Lib state leader here is a fool
and carpenter our state premier has ministers that have been caught up
in the corruption scandles.

The surplus the Government is currently sitting on came about as a direct
result of all the economic reforms put in place under the governments of
Hawke and Keating. There is actually no evidence that the Howard government

You are kidding right. They left the country in a real mess. Debt
levels were so high that its only now they've been paid off.

are "good economic managers". They just keep repeating that line and
Australian voters are stupid enough to believe it. Hawke and Keating and
the current minerals boom should be thanked by Australians for our current
economic "good fortune". I too could be a "good economic manager" if I
didn't buy food or fuel or anything else. My bank account would be huge but
I'd look like a concentration camp survivor, freeze in winter, go nowhere,
see no-one and I'd want to slash my wrists.

You've just lost the plot here and the debate with your rantings.
Kill filed!

cp 06-10-2007 06:03 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 02:52:52 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
I agree!
But the problem with political parties is youre either hot one term or
cold the other. I wish there were some swinging polititicans...with the
peoples interset in mind, not mindless selling of government assets to
'merican ans o'seas "investors"

vote green.

Vote green and you'll see druggies with injection rooms in your
neighbourhood. Quite unacceptable. That party is worse than the one
nation twits of Pauline Hanson.

which isn't a complete solution of course, but it helps :-) imo the greens
are only a few elections away from becoming a viably large third party
(which, let's face it, is precisely what we need, regardless of who the
third party actually _is_).

Dreaming.

the way people currently vote is that many seem to think they "have" to vote
either liberal (sic) or labor, but frankly such behaviour will only
encourage them ;-)
kylie

I put the greens last, makes my day.

Terryc 06-10-2007 04:01 PM

Love the lack of water dont you?

cp wrote:
Water, power, hospitals are the responceability of the states not the
federal government.

1) at least try to keep up with what is happening politically.
Responsibilities change.

You say they ought to borrow money to pay for new things,

2) I don't. It is just what they all do.

Only the tools in this world borrow again and again and again.

3) So you don't believe those late night wealth creation programs then?

Once
you pay off your debts you really ought to save for your final years
not continue to spend like there is no tomorrow.

4) Yawn, I take it you're a naive kid .

The states are racking in the money from the GST.

5) Lol, you really haven't tried to educate yourself have you. If you
had, you might know what the states gave up in return for getting the
GST income.

Terryc 06-10-2007 04:03 PM

cp wrote:

Water is the responceability of the states as is the hospital system
which is in a god awful mess.

I take it that you have been out of the country.

You need water to have a garden. Without it you are stuffed.

I've got two water tanks. How many do you have?

You can also choose plants that require little water.

Terryc 06-10-2007 04:09 PM

cp wrote:

And the really disturbing thing about this surplus is that most Australians
are too tied to one political party to use their heads and actually think.

Pot kettle black.

I take it that reading comprehension isn't a strong point with you.

When are you going to understand that the federal
government has nothing to do with the power, water and hospitals in
each state of Australia.

Lol, you really should make an effort to stop reading your party's
propaganda and connect withthe real world.

You can only save so much.

But you said that was what you should do for your old age.

You are kidding right. They left the country in a real mess. Debt
levels were so high that its only now they've been paid off.

lol, you really need to learn to read and analyse for yourself. Haven't
you worked it out yet. Every time the libs get into power, they have a
party and cause long term economic mayhem. Then the voters put labor
into power who do the hard years and turn the ship around. Hang onto
your hats, we are about to go there again.

My house repayments under the 17% of PK were far less that what I have
to pay now. explain that one.

Jonno[_9_] 06-10-2007 10:43 PM

Love the lack of water dont you?

Damn the lack of water is not my fault. We shouldn't need tanks, except
to cause a revolution. They sell our utilities, and then because its a
scarce resource rip us of, in the meantime looking for other ways of
taxing the people.

FarmI 07-10-2007 05:33 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

"Jonno" wrote in message

Its sad that we are doing so well. I would like to see some of this "doing
so well" as I find at 60 I am on a pension and not doing so well.

I heard Paul Clitheroe talking (rather rare for him as it fitted in as being
a 'political' comment) about the Liberal's mantra of "we've never been
better off". Basically he said that the rich are doing very well thank you
but the people who are on fixed income/pension etc are doing it tough as
they have no possibility of doing any discrestionary moves with their money.
Every cent is committed to something.

That certainly is the situation in the rual community I live in. I know
lots of people who are doing well but also lots of people who really need a
hand.

FarmI 07-10-2007 05:44 AM

"Jonno" wrote in message
I agree!
But the problem with political parties is youre either hot one term or
cold the other. I wish there were some swinging polititicans...with the
peoples interset in mind, not mindless selling of government assets to
'merican ans o'seas "investors"

Yes. But neither of the major parties at the Federal Government or State
Government level are now 'into' owning and running assets. I strongly
believe that services were better when owned by government in the two areas
which I use most, namely electricity and phone.

I'm going to vote for the Greens for the Senate in this forthcoming
election, but I'm not going that way for my Vote for the House of
Representatives.

0tterbot 07-10-2007 06:09 AM

"cp" wrote in message

vote green.

Vote green and you'll see druggies with injection rooms in your
neighbourhood.

i rather doubt it (seeing as how i know what their policies actually are).

Quite unacceptable. That party is worse than the one
nation twits of Pauline Hanson.

I put the greens last, makes my day.

if you can only make your day once every three years, that probably explains
why you're being such a crosspatch.
kylie

Jonno 07-10-2007 06:35 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

I wish someone would for once tell me how to vote, so Aussies Real
aussies. even the imported aussies who love living here, could get rid
of the nasty smell which comes form canberra once theyre voted in...

Jonno 07-10-2007 06:37 AM

Love the lack of water dont you?

I wish someone would for once tell me how to vote, so Aussies Real
aussies, (even the imported aussies who love living here) could get rid
of the nasty smell which comes from Canberra once they're voted in...
Even Pauline gets it right occasionally...(grin!)

0tterbot 07-10-2007 07:03 AM

"Jonno" wrote in message
I wish someone would for once tell me how to vote,

ah! easy.
1: make sure you're enrolled.
2: wait for polling day.
3: go to nearest polling booth.
4: vote!

there you are, no more problems!!

so Aussies Real
aussies, (even the imported aussies who love living here)

i'm an imported aussie too. aren't you?

could get rid
of the nasty smell which comes from Canberra once they're voted in...
Even Pauline gets it right occasionally...(grin!)

for heaven's sake, of course she doesn't. she hasn't sufficient functioning
braincells. (i know someone who calls people like that "crocodiles with
wris****ches".

happy voting!!
kylie

FarmI 07-10-2007 07:05 AM

"cp" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 02:52:52 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
. au...
I agree!
But the problem with political parties is youre either hot one term or
cold the other. I wish there were some swinging polititicans...with the
peoples interset in mind, not mindless selling of government assets to
'merican ans o'seas "investors"

vote green.

Vote green and you'll see druggies with injection rooms in your
neighbourhood. Quite unacceptable.

So you'd rather they get AIDS from sharing dirty needles or die if they
overdose. So caring.

I'd rather be operated on by a surgeon with a Heroin addiction than one who
was an Alchoholic. One is legal and does enormous physical damage whereas
the other is not legal and does little physical damage if a pure supply is
available. Don't bother with the facts, just the prejudices.

which isn't a complete solution of course, but it helps :-) imo the greens
are only a few elections away from becoming a viably large third party
(which, let's face it, is precisely what we need, regardless of who the
third party actually _is_).

Dreaming.

She's not. The Green vote is climbing at each election. It may soon be a
real power in the Senate as more voters seem to be finally realising that
the Senate is important.

the way people currently vote is that many seem to think they "have" to
vote
either liberal (sic) or labor, but frankly such behaviour will only
encourage them ;-)
kylie

I put the greens last, makes my day.

From what you've written here, that doesn't surprise me. You don't seem to
know anything about politics at all.

FarmI 07-10-2007 08:07 AM

wrote:

To pay off ALP debt:(

The only other way is to raise taxes which no one likes.

No it's not. One of the ways that we could have improved services right
across the board is if the current Goverment actually decided to DO
something with the huge surplus it is sitting on.

States run the power grid, water, etc...

Sigh!

[...]

No, I'm not kidding, I know what economic reforms they instituted.

If you don't believe me, you might believe Gerard Henderson. He is the
darling of all Right Wingers and is a stalwart of that wonderful right wing
think tank, "The Syndey Institute". Even though he is right wing, even he
can't bring himself to denigrate the legacy of the Hawke/Keating years.
http://www.thesydneyinstitute.com.au....php?ghwcID=77

They left the country in a real mess.

Nope. They activated a huge number of economic reforms that left Australia
in a postion where we could have a boom (or what is supposed to be a boom.
I have my doubts about that given that we can't any longer get accurate
unemployment figures now that anyone who works for an hour a week is counted
as being "employed". I just can't believe that anyone who works one hour a
week is in any way actively or gainfully "employed"

Debt
levels were so high that its only now they've been paid off.

"Only now"? Where have you been for the past decade?

The Government has had at least 10 surpluses as far as I can recall.

And the current government continued the Hawke Keating trick of selling
assets to pay off the deficit.

are "good economic managers". They just keep repeating that line and
Australian voters are stupid enough to believe it. Hawke and Keating and
the current minerals boom should be thanked by Australians for our current
economic "good fortune". I too could be a "good economic manager" if I
didn't buy food or fuel or anything else. My bank account would be huge
but
I'd look like a concentration camp survivor, freeze in winter, go nowhere,
see no-one and I'd want to slash my wrists.

You've just lost the plot here and the debate with your rantings.
Kill filed!

Obviously someone who hates to be told some facts rather than enjoy
spreading myths.