Old 24-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Trish Brown

Default Can I transplant a gardenia?

I don't *have* to transplant, but it would be so much tidier if I did.
It's a G.radicans and is pretty old: maybe ten years or so. It's not in
what you'd call great health, owing to water shortage and being sat on
by a stout bull terrier on a regular basis. Still, it's a nice gardenia
and flowers every year without fail. How fragile are the roots likely to
be? Is it safe to prune them a tad? Thanks in advance for any help you
might be able to offer! :-D
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 26-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Andrew G

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
I don't *have* to transplant, but it would be so much tidier if I did.
It's a G.radicans and is pretty old: maybe ten years or so. It's not in
what you'd call great health, owing to water shortage and being sat on
by a stout bull terrier on a regular basis. Still, it's a nice gardenia
and flowers every year without fail. How fragile are the roots likely to
be? Is it safe to prune them a tad? Thanks in advance for any help you
might be able to offer! :-D
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Hard to say without knowing how big it is, but as a dog can sit on it, I'm
picturing it to be small.
Try and get as much roots as possible, at least out to the canopy line, more
if possible. Don't prune any of the roots deliberately once out fo the
ground, there is no need. I mean you will take some off anyway when digging
it out of the ground.
In fact heading into Winter soon I wouldn't bother with taking any off the
top either.
Just move it, give it one good watering, and that's it. Check the soil
moisture before watering again.

It makes it hard that it doesn't HAVE to be removed. But I think that it
should survive.

Good luck.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply