GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   drowning weeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/181853-drowning-weeds.html)

faeychild[_3_] 19-03-2009 01:10 AM

drowning weeds

Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of water -
it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

--
faeychild

jonno 19-03-2009 02:14 AM

drowning weeds

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of water -
it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.

terryc 19-03-2009 02:34 AM

drowning weeds

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:09 +1100, faeychild wrote:

Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.

The idea of liquid fertiliser was that the plant(s) that went into the
water were known to concentrate certain elements/compunds.

OTOH, other plants, e.g. tobacco, are known to concentrate certain
compounds that can kill bugs.

I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.

Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

I guess not, but see above for final use/purpose.

len gardener 19-03-2009 05:40 PM

drowning weeds

yep you can use any green material.

it does need a good stir a couple of times a day to keep the stench
down, or buy one of those fish tank aeraters a small one and have that
running.

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:09 +1100, faeychild
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

faeychild[_3_] 20-03-2009 01:46 AM

drowning weeds

jonno wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.

Actually I never though of wood WOOD. I was considering only softer fleshed
plant material

--
faeychild

jonno 22-03-2009 12:50 PM

drowning weeds

faeychild wrote:
jonno wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.

Actually I never though of wood WOOD. I was considering only softer fleshed
plant material

You asked...I answered. Wood decomposes better in damp conditions...
Its marvelous how different fungi work...