GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kale... what to do with so much (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/193203-kale-what-do-so-much.html)

lilipili 11-08-2010 11:45 PM

Kale... what to do with so much

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 12-08-2010 12:27 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

lilipili wrote:
I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)

How about adapting preserved cabbage recipes, for example sauerkraut?

David

Anne Chambers[_2_] 12-08-2010 12:40 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

lilipili wrote:
I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)

Some vegetarian ones here
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd.../kale/top.aspx

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com

Ross McKay[_2_] 12-08-2010 02:09 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:45:48 -0700 (PDT), lilipili wrote:

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? [...]

It makes a nice sauerkraut or kimchi. Just adapt one of those. It's very
nice in a simple kimchi with just kale, garlic and salt, fermented a few
days. Make it your own way, but here's some basic recipes for starters:

http://www.wildfermentation.com/reso...age=sauerkraut
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sauerkraut
http://www.jasonunbound.com/kimchi.html
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
The planet is in a pickle, but fermenting will help save us

terryc 12-08-2010 05:15 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:45:48 -0700, lilipili wrote:

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away.

I hope you choke on it, skite! {:-).

Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes for
this prolific vegetable?

The chief cook just uses it in everything, salads, steamed, rissoles, etc.

Has anyone ever pickled it?

Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)?

Ross McKay[_2_] 12-08-2010 09:06 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:15:39 +0000 (UTC), terryc wrote:

[...]
Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)?

Acetic acid is the major acid component of vinegar. Perhaps you meant
lactic acid? (i.e. standard fermented pickle)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"

lilipili 15-08-2010 02:01 AM

Kale... what to do with so much

On Aug 12, 6:06*pm, Ross McKay
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:15:39 +0000 (UTC), terryc wrote:
[...]
Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)? *

Acetic acid is the major acid component of vinegar. Perhaps you meant
lactic acid? (i.e. standard fermented pickle)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
- The Wee Book of Calvin

Thanks everyone... i'm stuck inside with the rain and wind so pickles
it might be :-) Everything is growing wild now that the possum
proofing is up and the little critters have stopped eating EVERYTHING
in sight!