GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caper Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/31405-caper-tree.html)

Perksy 10-06-2003 11:32 PM

Caper Tree

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

Geodyne 10-06-2003 11:44 PM

Caper Tree

On 10 Jun 2003 15:29:27 -0700, (Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

The caper bush is a shrub, not a tree. I can't think of any nurseries
that sell the bush itself, but Eden Seeds sell the seed, if that's any
help.

Tara

Sprog 12-06-2003 02:44 AM

Caper Tree

Geodyne wrote:

On 10 Jun 2003 15:29:27 -0700, (Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

The caper bush is a shrub, not a tree. I can't think of any nurseries
that sell the bush itself, but Eden Seeds sell the seed, if that's any
help.

Tara

Actually, look at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~woodlink/abc.htm and scroll down
to capertree.

Chookie 12-06-2003 12:20 PM

Caper Tree

In article ,
(Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

The Digger' club sells the seeds; I'm waiting for mine to come up...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Perksy 12-06-2003 11:08 PM

Caper Tree

Chookie wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

The Digger' club sells the seeds; I'm waiting for mine to come up...

Hey Chookie,

I am a member of the diggers club and I checked them but could not
find it in the catalog, but I may not have been looking specifically
for seeds. I'll get onto them right away. I live in Ipswich QLD and I
think that they should grow there, might be a bit dry. My housemate's
dad is the one that is after them, and he lives in Canberra!!! I told
him that they may not work because of the cold, but he wants to try -
maybe I could establish it up here, then send it down to him.....
thanks for all the replies!!!

whiteMemphis 17-06-2003 05:32 AM

Caper Tree

"Perksy" wrote in message
om...
Chookie wrote in message

In article ,
(Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

I think I read somewhere that they are very difficult to germinate, in their
natural habitat the seeds are eaten by birds, excreted & only then will
germinate. The advice I was given was to soak them overnight in yoghurt to
simulate the acidic environment of the bird's gut before planting them.

Perksy 17-06-2003 11:56 PM

Caper Tree

"whiteMemphis" wrote in message ...
"Perksy" wrote in message
om...
Chookie wrote in message

In article ,
(Perksy) wrote:

I am trying to find a nursery that sells caper trees and so far I have
had no luck. Does anyone know of a nursery that may have it in
stock???

I think I read somewhere that they are very difficult to germinate, in their
natural habitat the seeds are eaten by birds, excreted & only then will
germinate. The advice I was given was to soak them overnight in yoghurt to
simulate the acidic environment of the bird's gut before planting them.

I'm sure glad I kept reading... for a moment I thought you were going
to ask me to go above and beyond the call of gardening!!!

whiteMemphis 26-06-2003 04:21 AM

Caper Tree

"Perksy" wrote in message
om...
"whiteMemphis" wrote in message

I think I read somewhere that they are very difficult to germinate, in

their
natural habitat the seeds are eaten by birds, excreted & only then will
germinate. The advice I was given was to soak them overnight in yoghurt

simulate the acidic environment of the bird's gut before planting them.

I'm sure glad I kept reading... for a moment I thought you were going
to ask me to go above and beyond the call of gardening!!!

heh, heh, now that would be a caper!