GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/49075-plant-id-needed.html)

Linda 23-12-2003 10:04 PM

Plant ID needed

I wonder if some kind soul out there can help me, please???

I am looking for an ID on

http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/Plant.html

which I am told is a native.

Thanks

Linda

Trish Brown 24-12-2003 12:10 AM

Plant ID needed

Linda wrote:

I wonder if some kind soul out there can help me, please???

I am looking for an ID on

http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/Plant.html

which I am told is a native.

Thanks

Linda

It's Mickey Mouse plant, Linda (Ochna serrulata). It's a weed in our area -
dunno whether it's been declared or not, but it's not looked on with favour - it
spreads easily and is thick and woody and *very* hard to dig out!) Starlings
spread it by eating the berries (which turn black and make the flower look like
Mickey Mouse) and then cr@pping them out somewhere else.

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Wallaby 24-12-2003 01:33 AM

Plant ID needed

Linda, Trish Brown is dead right with her ID. It is a noxious weed, bloody
horrible import! get rid of it, too ugly to be a native of Oz IMHO.

Chookie 27-12-2003 09:32 AM

Plant ID needed

In article ,
Linda wrote:

I wonder if some kind soul out there can help me, please???
I am looking for an ID on
http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/Plant.html
which I am told is a native.

Definitely Ochna, as you have been told. Funny, someone tried to sell my Mum
some Asparagus Fern, telling her it was a native (they probably dug it up in
remnant bushland). Both are nasty weeds, declared noxious in some places, and
both are so remarkably ugly you wonder why anyone would want them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

John Savage 07-01-2004 12:24 AM

Plant ID needed

"Wallaby" writes:
Linda, Trish Brown is dead right with her ID. It is a noxious weed, bloody
horrible import! get rid of it, too ugly to be a native of Oz IMHO.

The one good thing about okna is that it is extremely susceptible to the
Zero and Roundup weedicides, especially when still a seedling. One spray
wetting all the leaves and the okna is kaput within a week or two. Just as
with the asthma weed, spraying okna gives very satisfying results!

(I'm offline so haven't actually examined the cited photo, however.)