Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Terry Collins

Default Buzzies & blackberries

Stephen R Jones wrote:

G'Day China & Terry

Thanks heaps for getting back to me with this info. With respect to the
blackberries, I look forward trying out both drilling the stem as well as
cutting the stem and using the glyphosate in a jar method. Would you mind if
I asked a follow-up question? That is, about how much stem length should be
left from the ground? (does this matter?) I have all sizes to choose from

Your choice I guess. If you are not going to do follow up work (pull
roots out when dead, etc), then I guess as close to the ground as suits
you. If you are going to pull them out after they die and roots rot a
bit, leave a good bit to grip (using thick leather gloves {:-).

Most of the blackberry infestations I deal with in bush regeneration are
small (what blackberry? - zip it is gone roots and all). Just
occassionally we find a metre wide patch and need to do a bit of work.
Usually we cut below any branching in the stem.

Note, roundup/zero can require 6 and 12 monthly revisits (spray fresh
leaves). they do make stronger stuff that you can spray on (but full
spray kit strongly recommended)