Old 23-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Mal P

Default Anyone planted "Red Devil" type Photinias?

Hi everyone,

I know, I know, Photinias - they're used everywhere :-) But here in
the new suburbs of Canberra, everyone seems to be using Pittosporums,
so Photinias will be slightly different I hope! I wish to create a
tall (say, 3m) hedge which will completely block off the two adjacent
roads on my corner block so I can have some privacy in my front yard.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the "Red Devil" type
of Photinia? They apparently have new growth exhibiting a very bright
red colour, which does look quite nice.

There's another variety called "Superhedge" which apparently grows
faster, but doesn't look as nice, i.e. new growth is a more browny
sort of colour.

Which one you think will be hardier in Canberra's drout ridden versus
frosty extremes, in a fair bit of clay soil (I'll be mixing some
composted top soil into the ground about 30cm in)? In about two years,
how tall will the Red Devil Photinias be?

Thank you!
Mal
Old 23-03-2004, 10:02 AM
PM

Hi Mal,

As a fellow Belconnenite, can I recommend that you throw in a pile of gypsum
clay breaker and some water crystals as well. It isn't cheap but it does
seem to help. I think I am going to give up gardening in Canberra, it is
simply depressing.....

Paul

om...

Old 23-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Mal P

Hi Paul,

It sure is an inhospitable area these days isn't it! Thanks for the advice,
can you mix the gypsum right when you plant or do you have to mix it a few
days before hand?

Sincerely,
Mal

Old 24-03-2004, 09:43 AM
PM

Hi Mal,

Got me there. I usually mix it all in then soak it, leave overnight, then
plant. But I am renting at the mo so enthusiasm is gone......

Paul