GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Straw as a water filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/59534-straw-water-filter.html)

Terry Collins 21-04-2004 02:07 AM

Straw as a water filter

I have a problem with tannins from gum leaves in my water feature.

Will straw work?

I understand that straw is used as a filter material in the aquaculture
industry, so I am considering trialling it as a filter material for
tannins.

Hoping that someone might have already done this.

William J. Wolfe 07-05-2004 06:05 AM

Straw as a water filter

Terry Collins wrote in message ...
I have a problem with tannins from gum leaves in my water feature.

Will straw work?

I understand that straw is used as a filter material in the aquaculture
industry, so I am considering trialling it as a filter material for
tannins.

Hoping that someone might have already done this.

Straw will filter out leaves and other solid particles but it won't
remove dissolved contaminants.