GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning of young rosemary plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/78561-pruning-young-rosemary-plants.html)

MC 08-07-2004 08:02 AM

Pruning of young rosemary plants?

Hi all,

I have two rosemary plants that I put in as seedlings in January and they
are coming along nicely (Brisbane). I really want them to become a thick
shrub, like a friend has, so that I can harvest heaps of herb and not have
to worry about retarding the growth of the plants.

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

Any suggestions welcome!
Cheers,
Mick

Christopher Smith 08-07-2004 06:05 PM

In article , MC wrote:

Hi all,

I have two rosemary plants that I put in as seedlings in January and they
are coming along nicely (Brisbane). I really want them to become a thick
shrub, like a friend has, so that I can harvest heaps of herb and not have
to worry about retarding the growth of the plants.

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

I do not know what one ³should² do in this instance, but I kept tip
pruning all of my stems to 15 or 20cm in length until they became hedge
like. Now I just go along whenever they seem to need a haircut. It only
took a couple of years to get them to that point.

Chookie 11-07-2004 07:02 AM

Pruning of young rosemary plants?

In article , "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

Yes, do so -- you wouldn't get any frosts, would you?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet