Old 30-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Andrew G

Default Forming branches on she oaks/casurinas

Hi everyone

Just a discussion we were having at work today about she oaks.
Are the "needles" future branches, just that some develop and others drop
off, or are the branches formed in some other way.
I'm thinking it's the "needles" that turn into branches.

Cheers
Andrew

Old 30-08-2004, 08:42 PM
len gardener

don't know if this will help much andrew,

the needles are the leaves, so the branches must form from buds at a
predetermined time determined by the genetic make up of the tree.

told you i wasn't any expert hey lol

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 31-08-2004, 01:01 AM
waratah

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Hi everyone

Just a discussion we were having at work today about she oaks.
Are the "needles" future branches, just that some develop and others drop
off, or are the branches formed in some other way.
I'm thinking it's the "needles" that turn into branches.

Cheers
Andrew

The needles are actually stems with reduced leaves (the tiny pointy
scale-like things). This is an adaptation to reduce water loss. The branches
however form from buds within the structure of cells beneath the bark.

I hope I haven't confused you too much.

--
* w a r a t a h *

"time wounds all heels"