Old 10-10-2004, 11:22 AM
nome

Default Tree for chook shade?

Hi All

We are looking for surgestions for a tree to plant next to our chook pen
which will cope with the

nutriment load
give shade in summer
and feed us and the chooks !

dose any one have any experience with such a wonder ?

We are thinking maybe a nut tree or stone fruit.

Cold and frosty in winter sticking hot in summer.

TIA

Old 10-10-2004, 07:20 PM
len gardener

can you grow mullberries where you are? they make great chook house
shade trees and deciduous in winter, then you get all that fruit from
a well fed tree. added bonus all the fruit you can't eat when it falls
the the ground the chooks get a good feed.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:29 PM
SG1

Do they lay RED eggs Len????

"len gardener" wrote in message
can you grow mullberries where you are? they make great chook house
shade trees and deciduous in winter, then you get all that fruit from
a well fed tree. added bonus all the fruit you can't eat when it falls
the the ground the chooks get a good feed.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

Old 11-10-2004, 04:29 AM
len gardener

lol good one sg1 lol,

nah but boy do the mullberries get big and juicy from all the
nutrients.

lol

len

snipped

Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Mogsy

"nome" wrote in message
news
Hi All

We are looking for surgestions for a tree to plant next to our chook pen
which will cope with the

nutriment load
give shade in summer
and feed us and the chooks !

dose any one have any experience with such a wonder ?

We are thinking maybe a nut tree or stone fruit.

Cold and frosty in winter sticking hot in summer.

TIA

we have a couple of passionfuit vines growing over our chook shed. we are in
the outer north west of sydney, if thats of any assistance

Old 11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Trapper

"nome" wrote in message
news
Hi All

We are looking for surgestions for a tree to plant next to our chook pen
which will cope with the

nutriment load
give shade in summer
and feed us and the chooks !

dose any one have any experience with such a wonder ?

We are thinking maybe a nut tree or stone fruit.

Cold and frosty in winter sticking hot in summer.

TIA

Olive trees in our chook shed

Old 15-10-2004, 02:09 AM
John Savage

nome writes:
We are looking for surgestions for a tree to plant next to our chook pen
which will cope with the

nutriment load
give shade in summer
and feed us and the chooks !

dose any one have any experience with such a wonder ?

We are thinking maybe a nut tree or stone fruit.

Cold and frosty in winter sticking hot in summer.

When I was a kid we had a chookyard with a fig tree in it. The chooks
loved the summer shade, and had dust baths around it. The tree got a
bit of water each time we'd empty and wash out the drinking bowls near
it. The climate had frosts in winter, and now and then our summer temps
would hit the century. At the time I really didn't appreciate how lucky
we were to have our own fruiting fig. I remember every year searching
high and low for a fig that didn't have a hole in the end! Little did
I realise that the hole is a part of the package, allowing a tiny wasp
access to pollinate the flowers which are inside what we (wrongly) refer
to as the fruit.

The figs were up out of reach of the chooks, but other winged invaders
were not so easily stymied. Even though we lived in a fruit fly area,
I cannot recall our figs ever having fly. Perhaps someone else can
comment on this? Most stone fruits will need to be sprayed if you want
edible fruit. A lemon tree would be a good choice, I'd reckon, if you
could use the lemons. Whatever you plant, I think you might need to
protect it with a layer of wire netting pinned flat on top of the soil
to stop the chooks digging under it, or the tree will have a stunted
root system and struggle to survive.

Old 15-10-2004, 09:08 AM
len gardener

g'day john,

nup never had fruit fly in figs but boy ya' gotta be quick 2 beat the
birds. and mate what about all those f/f remedies you know especially
the diesel one hey come on now give 'em a decent go hey lol.

len

snipped

Old 29-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Astounded

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
nome writes:
[...]

From what I have read about fruit fly, you would have to get an
infestation from elsewhere to have a problem as fruit fly larva hatch
from the ground and have to spend approx 24 hours waiting for wings
to dry before flying. Chooks usually reckon this is a good arrangement
and need less other feed that day. Therefore enough chooks under fruit
trees = no fruit fly. Of course fruit fly may emerge from elsewhere and
infect your fruit (neighbours), but they will not be able to complete their
cycle accompanied by chooks.

Regards
Phil J.

---

Chook dome questions KingLillis Permaculture 11 22-02-2005 12:16 AM
Tips for building a chook-house? Rod Out back Australia 5 16-11-2004 12:40 AM
Chook Houses Shag Australia 1 14-09-2003 07:33 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Chook dome questions KingLillis Permaculture 3 09-04-2003 05:20 AM