GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grasshoppers attacking my beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/86941-grasshoppers-attacking-my-beans.html)

Witchy Mama 27-11-2004 08:19 AM

Grasshoppers attacking my beans

I was just watering my vegis and noticed that the beans had holes all through the leaves which wern't there yesterday, so I had a closer look and there were some tiny little grasshoppers on the leaves, I flicked them away (I know that wont stop them), but does anyone have any tips on keeping them away, I would prefer to try something natural before I start spraying them with chemicals seeing as we would be wanting to eat the beans, but if that is the only option then I guess chemicals will have to be the way to go...

Astounded 29-11-2004 12:26 PM

--
Witchy Mama

I have heard that dissolving a couple of tablespoons of molasses in a
watering
can and sprinkling or spraying on the leaves deters leaf eaters. Not too
sure if it
will work on grasshoppers but it won't cost much to try it. I have used it
with
reasonable success on caterpillars. You need to repeat after overhead
watering or rain.
Regards
Phil J.

---

Witchy Mama 30-11-2004 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astounded
[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Thanks, I am currently trying a spra of water with chilli in it, if that doesn't work then I will try your suggestion. I'm hoping it works though cause they have discovered the corn now and they seem to be liking it alot more then the beans :(