GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hydrangeas... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/92263-hydrangeas.html)

DD 11-04-2005 06:30 AM

Hydrangeas...

When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

DD

BCL 11-04-2005 07:14 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:30:42 +1000, DD wrote
in aus.gardens:

When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

I have some old ones and apparently only where they have had flowers
should be pruned back to a pair of buds.

Many years ago I pruned mine heavily because they were 6ft tall they
have never recovered though they are starting to look bushier but
they are still only 3ft

Regards
Bruce

John Savage 15-04-2005 01:39 AM

DD writes:
When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

If you don't get a better answer, I'd do it in late winter when the
frosts are over when you see the new green buds starting to swell. Cut
back to a pair of healthy-looking buds, just which ones depends on how
high you want the shrub.

Well, that's what I do. Haven't sent them extinct yet!