Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 AM
DD

Default Hydrangeas...

When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

DD
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 AM
BCL

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:30:42 +1000, DD wrote
in aus.gardens:

When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

I have some old ones and apparently only where they have had flowers
should be pruned back to a pair of buds.

Many years ago I pruned mine heavily because they were 6ft tall they
have never recovered though they are starting to look bushier but
they are still only 3ft

Regards
Bruce
Old 15-04-2005, 01:39 AM
John Savage

DD writes:
When should I cut back my Hydrangeas? This is the first year I have had
them and the growth has to be seen to be believed!

If you don't get a better answer, I'd do it in late winter when the
frosts are over when you see the new green buds starting to swell. Cut
back to a pair of healthy-looking buds, just which ones depends on how
high you want the shrub.

Well, that's what I do. Haven't sent them extinct yet!

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM