GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/49463-has-phyllostachys-nigra-set-seed-recently.html)

TQPL 31-12-2003 06:42 PM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

Hi group,

Does anyone know if Phyllostachys nigra has
recently produced seed?
Worldwide?
In the UK a mail order company is offering cell
grown P.nigra and I wondered if they were seed or
tc grown...I havn't asked them yet! I would like
some advanced info before I make a call.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Alan (inUK)

TQPL 01-01-2004 07:43 PM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

Hi Mullens,
Thanks for your input.
Neither has mine or the punctata form.
Regards
Alan (inUK)
"mullens" wrote in message
Mine hasn't flowered !

Zookeeper 02-01-2004 01:19 AM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

Neither have ours. And they look great covered in snow!
Zookeeper (Oregon, USA)
TQPL wrote:
Hi Mullens,
Thanks for your input.
Neither has mine or the punctata form.
Regards
Alan (inUK)
"mullens" wrote in message

Mine hasn't flowered !

Zookeeper 02-01-2004 01:19 AM

TQPL wrote:
Hi Mullens,
Thanks for your input.
Neither has mine or the punctata form.
Regards
Alan (inUK)
"mullens" wrote in message

Mine hasn't flowered !

TQPL 05-01-2004 04:32 PM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

For those that are interested.

In the UK a mail order company is offering cell
grown P.nigra and I wondered if they were seed or
tc grown..................

The company informs me that the 'cell grown'
plants are rhizome propagations from field grown
plants in China. So nothing new there then!

Can breath x 3 sighs of relief that my P.nigra is
not about to flower.
Cross out tc and cuttings too from the book.
Thanks for the worldwide info help.

Zookeeper hope the beauty of the snow makes up for
the cold.
Regards
Alan(inUK)

"Zookeeper" wrote
in message

mullens 06-01-2004 03:32 AM

TQPL wrote:

For those that are interested.

In the UK a mail order company is offering cell
grown P.nigra and I wondered if they were seed or
tc grown..................

The company informs me that the 'cell grown'
plants are rhizome propagations from field grown
plants in China. So nothing new there then!

Can breath x 3 sighs of relief that my P.nigra is
not about to flower.
Cross out tc and cuttings too from the book.
Thanks for the worldwide info help.

Zookeeper hope the beauty of the snow makes up for
the cold.
Regards
Alan(inUK)

I'm interested. Who is the company, and how much do they cost ?

I've had most luck with P. Aureosulcata spectabilis, less with
P. Nigra and none with P. Pubescens when it came to taking rhizome
cuttings.

I've bought a fair number of plants from the Palm Centre (in Ham)
and I understand that they have a sale until February.

Richard

gnarl 07-07-2007 02:51 AM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

Good news there, I just started propagating our three 'Henon' this
year!!!!

g.

JimR 09-07-2007 12:11 AM

Has Phyllostachys nigra set seed recently?

-- Central Florida -- I've got P. nigra that was planted in the wrong place
and I regularly pull out (and either give to friends, throw away or replant
into pots) rhizomes that are emerging in my azalea or citrus gardens.
They're available to anyone that wants them --

gnarl 09-07-2007 12:21 AM

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:11:20 GMT, "JimR" wrote:

-- Central Florida -- I've got P. nigra that was planted in the wrong place
and I regularly pull out (and either give to friends, throw away or replant
into pots) rhizomes that are emerging in my azalea or citrus gardens.
They're available to anyone that wants them --

I'd love to have a few new starts but Florida is SO far away! ;-j

g.

.. .