GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Tender dwarf bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/49703-tender-dwarf-bamboo.html)

Jim McLaren 05-01-2004 08:41 AM

Tender dwarf bamboo

I'm trying to find the name of (and hence how to care for) a minature bamboo purchased last spring by my wife at a nearby garden centre. The label only says its a bamboo and the cultural advice in the form of diagrams suggests full sun to part shade, moderate water and a temperature of 20C. The watering aspect is somewhat contradicted by a diagram saying the pot should stand in a saucer filled with a minimum of 1cm and maximum of 3cm of water.

The plant flourished throughout the summer in this waterlogged state, the foliage being about 20cm high and a few flowers were produced.

However, throughout autumn the foliage has yellowed and is now apparently dead as are the culms. Is it a deciduous species, or annual, or simply been killed by my not adjusting the culture for autumn and winter?

mullens 07-01-2004 02:42 AM

Tender dwarf bamboo

Most bamboos don't like standing in water at all.

Large bamboos seldom produce flowers, but I don't know about dwarf varieties.

--
Jim McLaren

Jim McLaren 08-01-2004 06:18 AM

Tender dwarf bamboo

Quote:

Originally posted by mullens

Jim McLaren wrote:

[...]

Yes. I stopped standing it in a saucer of water when it started to die back and I've been keeping it moist since then. I don't feel it would be right to let it completely dry out, but I may be wrong. The culms didn't have the usual woody feel to them, but were more grass-like and annual, so the die back may well be natural.

Many thanks for your reply.

Beecrofter 08-01-2004 09:44 PM

Tender dwarf bamboo

Try Dracaena sanderiana