GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto, (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/57051-recommendations-tall-clumping-non-running-bamboo-suitable-mississauga-toronto.html)

A.N.Other 27-03-2004 04:08 AM

recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto, Can

I am looking for a bamboo to use as a backdrop for my pond
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56/pondpage.htm#General).
I would like a fairly tall, dense variety to act as a screen for the filter
setup that is/will be installed behind and to the left of the pond.
Any suggestions for a non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,
Canada.
TIA
ANO

Bert 27-03-2004 06:29 PM

recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,

I don't think there is a clumper you can grow in your climate unless you
could pot it and take it in each winter.

Bert

Darcy Paul 27-03-2004 10:02 PM

recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,

I was in Toronto a couple of years ago and at a bonsai store I was at they
had some bamboo that was growing wild outside the store. Bamboo like other
plants has different verities some will survive in -30 C weather.

Darcy

Mark. Gooley 28-03-2004 02:02 AM

recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,

"A.N.Other" wrote
I am looking for a bamboo to use as a backdrop for my pond
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56/pondpage.htm#General).
I would like a fairly tall, dense variety to act as a screen for the

filter
setup that is/will be installed behind and to the left of the pond.
Any suggestions for a non-running bamboo, suitable for

Mississauga/Toronto,
Canada.

I'd check the American Bamboo Society website and see whether such
a plant even exists. Check the species list and see how much cold the
various types will take. My guess is that you'll likely have to get a
running bamboo and contain it with root barriers (the pond will be one
of them; maybe you could make a sort of peninsula or island for the
bamboo?).

Mark., plenty of such clumpers grow fine here, but I'm in north Florida