Old 17-04-2004, 07:45 PM
puiu

Default trading MOSO seeds with other bamboo rhizomes......

Hi,
I have a large quantity of fresh MOSO seeds , and I want to trade some
of them with other cold resistant phyllostachys or other bamboo
species,
Please mail me!
Regards , P.G

Old 18-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Pedro

It's this for real? I mean, MOSO seeds?
Does this specie of bamboo gives seeds?
Thanks

Pedro

om...

Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Mark. Gooley

"Pedro" wrote:
It's this for real? I mean, MOSO seeds?
Does this specie of bamboo gives seeds?

It does. I know that some moso bloomed a few years
ago and I bought several seedlings, one of which is
gradually growing into a grove. I suppose it's possible
that other plants bloomed more recently and that seeds
could be available. I don't know any details. Seed-grown
plants could have slightly different characteristics than
their parent(s), so maybe we'll see some cultivars with
thicker culms or other interesting properties.

I don't know anything about this particular offer of seeds.

As far as I know, bamboo seeds do not keep well.

Bamboos usually die after flowering, though a few
species flower regularly with no apparent ill effects.

Mark., I hope that there are some experts who can tell
us more about these things here

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Bob Johannessen

puiu wrote:
Hi,
I have a large quantity of fresh MOSO seeds , and I want to trade some
of them with other cold resistant phyllostachys or other bamboo
species,
Please mail me!
Regards , P.G

puiu,

You don't say where you are located so it makes it difficult for anyone
to know if they will be able to trade plants for your seeds. If you are
not in the USA, then no-one in the USA will be able to (easily) trade
with you as bamboo and bamboo seeds must be brought in to this country
through a quarantine greenhouse and spend a year in the greenhouse with
inspections by our federal Ag department to make sure it does not bring
any diseases with it into this country. Being a grass, it might harbor
a disease that could spread to other grasses like corn, wheat, oats,
etc. and ruin a multi-billion dollar crop. Thus the import
restrictions. There are only about 5 or 6 quarantine greenhouses in the
USA that can legally import bamboo seed and plants, because they have
applied for and been granted a permit from the USDA. If one bamboo in a
quarantine greenhouse is found to be diseased, then the entire contents
of the greenhouse are destroyed!

This is in distinct contrast to Europe where there are no restrictions
on bamboo imports, and no serious consequences coming from many years of
imports from all over the world.

As for the seeding behavior of Moso (Phyllostachys heterocycla pubescens
- aka P. edulis), seed is generally available from somewhere in the
world on a regular basis. It is one of the few (or maybe only) bamboo
where this is the case. Apparently there are a lot of clones and one
clone or another is likely to be setting seed every year.

Growing bamboo from seeds is fun if you can get seeds. And the
possibility of a new cultivar is always intriguing, although the chances
of finding one worth having are very small. Most bamboo seed do have
a short shelf life, in the range of a few months to perhaps a year. I
think Moso seed viability is probably in this range.

Regards,

Bob Johannessen