Old 12-08-2005, 03:59 AM
james rogers

Default [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Juniper ID

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Rogers
Date: August 11, 2005 1:37:08 PM PDT
To: ,
Subject: [IBC] Juniper ID

On Aug 10, 2005, at 1:55 PM,
wrote:

I am having a terrible time trying to tell whether I have a J.
procumbens
'Nana' or J. squamata 'Prostrata.' I can't find any closeup pictures
on the Web.
This started out in the spring with needles, but now the foliage
consists of
little sprays of triangular sort-of-but-not-quite-scales, but it is
definitely
not ropy like Shimpaku. The ends tend to turn up just a little. It is
green,
not very bluish. It has been growing well in this heat. Is there any
trick to
tell the difference for sure?
Iris

In our area, California, there has been a lot of confusion with some
juniper names. Squamata prostrata has usually been connected to a
juniper that grows like San Jose with thick branches but more of the
scally type foliage. procumbens nana has thinner branchng and no
scaly type foliage. Again there is some confusion because I have seen
procumbens nana and procumbens nana compacta sold as nana. the
difference is in the size of foliage and co0mpactness of the growth.

Jim

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++