GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   You never know..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/102131-you-never-know.html)

Nina 01-09-2005 03:01 PM

You never know.....

Some workmen were laying cable in our building, and I couldn't help but
notice the thick copper wire they were cutting and dropping everywhere.
Finally the foreman asked me why I was staring at the wire, and I
explained that copper wire was a tool used to shape bonsai... He said
he knew that, because his uncle had a hundred bonsai. He then told me
to take all the wire I wanted.

Nina. So I did.

Marty Haber 01-09-2005 03:27 PM

Nice work, Nina - but don't forget to anneal it.
Marty H.
Some workmen were laying cable in our building, and I couldn't help but
notice the thick copper wire they were cutting and dropping everywhere.
Finally the foreman asked me why I was staring at the wire, and I
explained that copper wire was a tool used to shape bonsai... He said
he knew that, because his uncle had a hundred bonsai. He then told me
to take all the wire I wanted.

Nina. So I did.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

dalecochoy 01-09-2005 03:58 PM

Now, you can roll it into nice rolls and anneal it in your barbecue this
weekend after you're done grilling burgers.

Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

Jim Gremel 01-09-2005 05:10 PM

On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:57 AM, dalecochoy wrote:

Now, you can roll it into nice rolls and anneal it in your barbecue
this
weekend after you're done grilling burgers.

If you anneal in a BBQ, I recommend that you wash the BBQ out very
thoroughly when you are done annealing.

Annealing copper blackens, or oxidizes, the surface of the wire. A
crust of black copper oxide is created that flakes off as a powder &
small flakes during and after the annealing process. You won't be able
to see the oxide in a BBQ because it is won't be visible against the
charcoal & black metal. I wouldn't be able to see it in my propane BBQ
either. But it will be there & it is a toxicity concern.

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++