Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Muuurgh

Default New to Bonsai--Where to start?

I am growing some Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) from seed. The
germination rate isn't very good, but I do have a couple sprouts... so
anyhow, What should I do in order to prepare for bonsai?

I don't know anything... so where do I start?

Thanks,
Muuurgh

Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Muuurgh

"Muuurgh" wrote in message
eenews.net...
I am growing some Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) from seed. The
germination rate isn't very good, but I do have a couple sprouts... so
anyhow, What should I do in order to prepare for bonsai?

Can the Coastal redwood be grown indoors, as I live in OK where we get
freezes and snow?

-Muuurgh

Old 03-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Jim Lewis

Muuurgh wrote:
"Muuurgh" wrote in message
eenews.net...

I am growing some Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) from seed. The
germination rate isn't very good, but I do have a couple sprouts... so
anyhow, What should I do in order to prepare for bonsai?

Can the Coastal redwood be grown indoors, as I live in OK where we get
freezes and snow?

-Muuurgh

NO. In winter it will have to go into a cold frame or
greenhouse or get other protection from the Oklahoma winters.

Very few if any temperate zone plants will live for long
indoors.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Shelly Hurd

Hi Muuurgh (what were your parents thinking?),

1- Lots of luck with the seedlings. You'll need it. Once you can
transplant them (like next spring if you're lucky) try to keep them in no
more than 4 inches of soil. The soil should be exceedingly well draining.
Then just keep them alive for 5 years. Let them grow as the will.

2- They -may- survive you winters (just because they are -coastal- redwoods
doesn't mean that that is the only place they live here) but the odds are
not good. You'll have to protect them when your winter arrives. Rather
than go into that now, search the archives or hang in there with us until
winter. We go on and on and on EVERY year on this subject.

Welcome to bonsai,
Shelly Hurd - Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

I am growing some Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) from seed.

The
germination rate isn't very good, but I do have a couple sprouts... so
anyhow, What should I do in order to prepare for bonsai?

Can the Coastal redwood be grown indoors, as I live in OK where we get
freezes and snow?

-Muuurgh
Jim replied: