Old 06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Ethan Smith

Default [IBC] Ficus and Fall

I recently picked up a couple ficus Benjamina 'Kiki' from our local
club. A coworker and I were talking about ficus in general, and he was
saying that a friend of his has two gigantic ficus that are as healthy
as he has ever seen.

This person with the ulttra healthy ficus keeps them outside in Ohio
until all the leaves fall off. According to him this is well into
November, and you can bet these trees see frost. She then brings them
in without leaves and puts them in the corner of her living room to
rest until spring.

What is the deal here? Is is it good to give Ficus a good long rest period?

It was my assumption that since they are true tropical they can grow
all year long no problem. Is this an incorect assumption?

thanks,
-Ethan

--
Ethan Smith, Columbus, Ohio
USDA Zone 6, Sunset 35 & 41

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-10-2005, 03:18 AM
ovais

Ficuses dont rest, at least not here in karachi, they grow all the year ,
growth is more vigrous after july till november.
ovais
Karachi pakistan

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-10-2005, 03:28 AM
William Valavanis

Your friend's Ficus sounds like it is the Edible fig, Ficus carica.
This Fig is kind of winter hardy in your region. In colder areas it
is often lifted and planted horizontally in the garden and covered
with soil. In spring, after the cold weather it is planted again in
the garden. Some people often bring this tree indoors where it "sits"
for a few months, then leafs out.

Did you actually see your friend's Ficus? The Edible fig has large
wide leaves which are rough to the touch. The ornamental tropical
figs trained for bonsai are not winter hardy at all. They have
smaller foliage which is quite thick and glossy green. They do not
normally drop all their foliage at one time. However, all the foliage
is often removed as a training technique and also for displaying the
fine delicate twigs in tropical regions of the world where they
cannot enjoy the beauty of deciduous species.

I think you are talking about two different Ficus species.

Bill Valavanis