Old 29-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Blake Wilkins

Default A. palmatum Air-layer - Next Step

This spring I attempted my first air layer, which is on a Acer palmatum
"Shindeshojo." I was originally concerned that this cultivar would not
successfully air layer, but as it turned out, it did. By now it has
generated a number of roots along the cut and about three weeks ago sent out
a vigorous flush of new leaves.

I need guidance on the next step:

When should I sever and repot? While it has good new roots, should I wait
till the air layer medium is packed with new roots? Seasonal considerations
- is it okay in the fall to repot (we are in Houston, so Fall extends
through November), or is it best to repot only in spring.

What is recommended for potting medium when I repot? For the air layer it
was straight shredded peat.

Pot size - this is a fairly large tree that I'm severing, probably about a
1.5" caliper. But I've had more than enough heartache from potting in
larger pots. Should I keep it in a half/gallon pot, or even smaller, until
a string root ball has developed?

Feeding recommendations immediately after repotting?

Thanks,
Blake in Houston

Old 29-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Tiziano

Blake Wilkins wrote:

This spring I attempted my first air layer, which is on a Acer palmatum
"Shindeshojo." I was originally concerned that this cultivar would not
successfully air layer, but as it turned out, it did. By now it has
generated a number of roots along the cut and about three weeks ago sent out
a vigorous flush of new leaves.

untrue my firsts air layering io that cultivar
was perfect in 6 weeks and detached and stll alive
3 months alter
I did this very year

I need guidance on the next step:

When should I sever and repot?

as soon as you see roots piercing trough the moss
can wait one more week if you wish keep moist

While it has good new roots, should I wait
till the air layer medium is packed with new roots? Seasonal considerations
- is it okay in the fall to repot (we are in Houston, so Fall extends
through November), or is it best to repot only in spring.

wait one full year before doing whatever , cut
or wire and so on
leave theroots grow well

What is recommended for potting medium when I repot? For the air layer it
was straight shredded peat.

coarse medium 3-5 mm akaddma pozzolana sand
and some pine bark ( I did )

Pot size - this is a fairly large tree that I'm severing, probably about a
1.5" caliper. But I've had more than enough heartache from potting in
larger pots. Should I keep it in a half/gallon pot, or even smaller, until
a string root ball has developed?

use a size adapted to the scion size if too
big water stagnation might rot roots
Feeding recommendations immediately after repotting?

Thanks,
Blake in Houston

maybe you live in a too hot climate for
palmatum ...

Old 29-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] A. palmatum Air-layer - Next Step

I can't help you on the "When" to transplant, but I can give you a hint on stabelizing a tree with a small amount of roots in a larger pot. I take a clay pot with a lip, some of that strechy plastic tape, and make a webbing to hold the tree in place.

I start with a ring of the plastic tape about half way between the lip and te bottom of the pot, this will strech up to the lip of the pot. Then I go from the edge of the pot around the tree at about a 90 degree angle, through the loop around the pot, back up around the trunk at a 90 degree angle until i have divided toe pot into quarters or even sixths.

Kits

Blake Wilkins wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by James Harwood++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by James Harwood++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++