GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/1209-%5Bibc%5D-off-topic-origin-puns.html)

Peter Le Roux 11-02-2003 09:25 PM

[IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns

Iris Said:
I would like to know, at what point did the pun stop being a
source of magic and become a form of humor?

Well this is so off topic, I feel I must reply- but I don't have much
useful. I DO know that in shakespeare's time, punning was considered
skillful (hence the use of puns in places we would consider inappropriate
for humour). So I guess back in renaissance era england it was still
respected, if not venerated as magical.

?eter

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 12-02-2003 02:55 AM

[IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns

I DO know that in Shakespeare's time, punning was considered skillful
(hence the use of puns in places we would consider inappropriate for humour)

That's interesting. I will have to read Shakespeare again. I like to get to
the root of things. But we'd better leave this topic before someone barks at
me.
Rainbow (not the bridge)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 12-02-2003 02:25 PM

[IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns

In a message dated 2/11/03 4:21:13 PM,
writes:
I DO know that in Shakespeare's time, punning was considered

skillful
(hence the use of puns in places we would consider

inappropriate for humour)

That's interesting. I will have to read Shakespeare again. I

like to get to
the root of things. But we'd better leave this topic before

someone barks at
me.
Rainbow (not the bridge)

Iris (and others): You may find this site interesting:
http://www.iona.edu/advancement/annual/Rosenfeld.htm

David Thoreau - Walden

Iris Cohen 13-02-2003 02:55 AM

[IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns

I know three triple puns. One I picked up in the garden group; the other two
are old as the hills. I will NOT repeat them here. Each one is worse than the
next. If you want them, let me know privately.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)