GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Heart tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/12439-re-%5Bibc%5D-heart-tree.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 31-03-2003 02:08 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

In a message dated 3/31/03 12:38:08 AM, writes:

The Ficus microcarpa has heart shaped leaves doesn't it?

Mine don't

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

sbudi 31-03-2003 06:32 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

Hi Catherine: The leaf of Ficus microcarpa is the same shape with ficus
retusa's. Only microcarpa's is smaller. They are not of a heart shape.
Budi
The Ficus microcarpa has heart shaped leaves doesn't it?
I've never seen a live one.
Thanks,
Cathy

Catherine Spence Calley zone 6/7
(Check email)

****
****

Sean Nemecek 31-03-2003 06:56 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

The Ficus religiousa has heart shaped leaves. Perhaps that is what you were
referring to.

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

sbudi 01-04-2003 03:56 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

Religiosa grows in India and quite a lot in Thailand as bosai. It is due to
Ficus religiosa is concidered a sacred tree by Budhism and Hinduism.
Majority of Thais are Budhism. It grows in many countries in South east asia
including Indonesia.
Budi
Thanks, that may be what I'm thinking about. Is the religiousa the one that
India has so many of?

Patrick Alexander 02-04-2003 01:56 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

CLSC wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for the info. Does anyone on the list have a
religiosa that is a few years old?

Though I don't have one, a local greenhouse has one that's at
least a couple decades old, and is more-or-less bonsai-ish... for bonsai,
the leaves are very large, and it looks to be that wounds don't heal
quickly (i.e., within the five or six years I've seen this plant), though
this is a pretty pot-bound plant that might heal more quickly under better
conditions... I could take and post pictures of it, if you like.

Patrick Alexander

Nina Shishkoff 02-04-2003 04:20 PM

[IBC] Heart tree

Hi,

Thank you for the info. Does anyone on the list have a

religiosa that is a few years old?

Cathy

Catherine Spence Calley zone 6/7

I missed the front of this thread, so I don't know what I'm replying
to. I wouldn't call the leaves of a Bo tree "heart-shaped", because
the tip is very elongated. It's more like a bloody heart with a long
drip coming from it.

I have had one for 8 years. It is not a very satisfactory plant for
my growing conditions, because it needs long hot summers. Just as
soon as it starts to really grow, I have to bring it indoors, where
it drops its leaves and goes dormant. It would probably do better if
I had gro-lights and a warmer room, but the rest of my indoor bonsai
want cool winters, so it's stuck with what I have.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY