Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Robert Moore

Default [IBC] yet another website

At 12:00 -0600 31/3/2003, Andy Rutledge wrote:
I finally got around to making a bonsai website for myself at
http://bunjindesign.com/bonsai/ . It occurred to me that while I've got
lots of other sites out there, I didn't have one of my own for bonsai, so...

I usually don't comment much on websites, but this I like very much,
Andy. The design with the links section set near (but off) centre is
really neat - it's a design idea I've not seen much.
And your bunjin red pine has inspired. I've an old black pine
which I'm trying to resurrect after it was neglected and left for too
long in too much shade. It has nice trunk and roots, but the branches
are long and spindly. I presume there is no practical way of
developing branches lower down on black pines once they're gone (?)
So I've been modelling it on a bunjin sketch from John Naka's first
book. But Andy's red pine makes the effort now seem worthwhile, and
the end result possible!

Cheers

Rob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your nice comments. I'm glad you like the pine. As for your
own, if you really want branches lower down, you can simply graft them on.
It's not hard and is used on most of the better pines in the world. Just be
sure to use shoots from the apex of the tree for these branches. You need
strong, vigorous shoots for use on the lower parts of the tree. That way
they have the tendency to grow strongly enough to be useful down there.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas
www.bunjindesign.com/bonsai/