Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Spectre

Default Unlurking

I haven't posted since summer last year. Out of trying to start 6 trees
last year, I have only one going into spring this year. :P It's my ugliest
willow, but I think I've changed my mind on what I'm going to do with it.
I'm going to move it into a smaller pot this year. It looks too spindly in
the one it's in now. And when the new shoots/leaves come out I'm going to
trim a bit off the ends and try my hand at wiring so it 'weeps' this year.
If (and it should) it grows a lot of leaves, I think that will look decent
for a second year.

But I'm ready to try a few more. I'm going to use a few more willows, since
they are so easy to root from cuttings and helps with the 'I need to do
*something*' itch. And I have my eye on some saplings that have been
growing for the past few years from the endless amount of maple keys that
float around my yard. (I had to guard those from my husband wanting to pull
them out!!).

I was thinking of trying some other cuttings too, and after doing a search
I'm still a bit confused. I'd like to try Cotoneaster, which we have tonnes
of in our gardens. We have to cut back our Russian Olives big time this
year (we've neglected them for a while now) and was thinking of trying that
too, though I've heard they are a bit hard to work with. And maybe the
Corkscrew Hazel. I may buy a few potted already too (burning bush for sure
this year!).

I'm not expecting much, and honestly, if anything in a pot survives my care
it's a miracle!! But I love trying at least. I'm a bit confused though
on when to do the cuttings. I think the best time for most is in the fall,
but I've obviously missed that for anything this year. Can I still do the
cuttings now? Should I wait until a certain temperature so I don't
compromise the mother plant? It's hovering around zero right now.

Spectre
Zone 5 on most maps

Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Spectre

First, I can't believe I wrote unlurking instead of delurking! :P It's
been a long few days with work.

Second, I've been corrected with time to take cuttings (a few times!). Not
sure why I thought the best time was fall.... I must have confused it with
something else! We're still being hit with this rediculous 'winter' storm,
but as soon as it's nice out again I'll be out there snipping away.

Thanks!!

Spectre
(not from afgs, since I'm not sure what that is