Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Plural

many plants of serissa should be SerissE!

No, I'm sorry, but Serissa is not an Italian word. It is the

Latin name of a
plant. If you want to use colloquial English, you could say

Serissas, but it is
more correct to say one Serissa or several Serissa, but nothing

else.

One Serissa, two Serissa, three Serissa more.
Four Serissa, five Serissa, throw them out the door!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - And don't
forget the apostrophous Serissa's ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Theo

it is like saying 1 bread 2 bread many bread .. as correct as....:-)
some latin words ending in a plural in i acero( maple) becomes aceri
especially when is said that Serissa is a latin words latins did not put to make
plurals everywhere
but we are far from the main topic and OT anyway
Theo

Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Ulrike Bauer

Sorry to correct you, but in Latin, the plural of -a is -ae. So it would be
Serissae...

Ulli Bauer
South Germany, zone 7b

Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Iris Cohen

Sorry to correct you, but in Latin, the plural of -a is -ae.

We were discussing English. Besides, Serissa is the name of a genus, & the
plural is not used.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IBC] ***** [IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 06:22 PM
Plural Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 09-04-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM