Old 13-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Let there be LIGHT!

Yesterday, I had two medium size water oaks (Q. nigra) removed
from my yard. They were two of several oaks (the others are
small live oaks) and an American persimmon that shade(d) my
bonsai tables. Today, I saw how much more light that will give
my little trees. It should make it a bit easier to keep the
leaves tiny on the tiniest of the trees.

(This afternoon, I and my trusty Craftsman electric chain saw
started to cut the trunks (both of them about 13 inches diameter
and 40 feet or so long) into firewood size for my neighbors. I
got about 1/5 done before I got too tired for safe chain saw
work. Several more afternoons of work ahead of me. Of course if
I had a REAL saw . . .)

It also may help keep the squirrels away; the two downed trees
were full of squirrel nests. :-)

So I have a little experiment (non-reversible) going on. I can
see the paper now: "The Effects of A Sudden Increase in Lumens
on the Growth Rates and Leaf Size of Small Potted Trees."

Watch for it in Pseudo-Science Magazine.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++