GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] root thread graft (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/17508-%5Bibc%5D-root-thread-graft.html)

Steve Wolfinger 24-04-2003 07:32 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

I just dug up some small maple seedlings from the front yard that the
squirrels planted last fall..... I'm thinking of using them for thread
grafting to improve the roots on my acer palmatum..... will these two
mix?... can you root thread graft a field maple onto a japanese maple??

steve wolfinger lancaster pa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Marty Haber 24-04-2003 09:44 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

Yes & no. Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A.
palmatum; but no, because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse
branch on a lovely little-leaved tree. Try to find another A.p. from which
to steal an approach graft.
Marty

I just dug up some small maple seedlings from the front yard that the
squirrels planted last fall..... I'm thinking of using them for thread
grafting to improve the roots on my acer palmatum..... will these two
mix?... can you root thread graft a field maple onto a japanese maple??

steve wolfinger lancaster pa

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve Wolfinger 24-04-2003 10:20 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:10:42 -0400, Marty Haber
wrote:

Yes & no. Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A.
palmatum; but no, because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse
branch on a lovely little-leaved tree

Even though the only thing i am interested in is the surface root ??

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jerry Meislik 25-04-2003 01:59 AM

[IBC] root thread graft

Steve:
You probably could do this but the bark of the root would not match the
maple.
I have never done this so I am just guessing.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Iris Cohen 25-04-2003 03:32 AM

[IBC] root thread graft

Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A. palmatum; but no,
because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse branch on a lovely
little-leaved tree

I think we are having trouble with the term thread graft. A thread graft is
where you take a long skinny branch, drill a hole right through the trunk where
you want a new branch, and thread the tip of the branch through the hole.
Before doing this, you scrape the bark from the right spot on the branch to
make sure the cambium layers meet. The branch fuses to the trunk and you
eventually cut the back piece off, leaving the new branch. This is usually done
with a branch from the same tree. There are other types of grafts, like
approach grafts, budding, etc.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Steve Wolfinger 25-04-2003 04:08 AM

[IBC] root thread graft

although i have never done it..... from what i understand thread grafts may
also be used to create new roots. its a thread graft in reverse... drilling
the hole at the exact spot where you would like a new root...planting the
seedling so the roots of the seedling are just outside that hole.. and
threading it through.removing the branch part after it has taken. and no
cambium needs to be exposed.... only a tight fit.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Sean Nemecek 25-04-2003 05:32 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

I recall an article from Bonsai Today where they did a root thread graft. A
hole was drilled through the root of a trident maple. Another trident was
threaded through. Then when the graft was complete the upper portion of the
threaded trident was cut off. So it is possible to improve nebari by thread
grafting.

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

Bart Thomas 25-04-2003 06:08 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

[email protected] 25-04-2003 08:44 PM

[IBC] root thread graft

In a message dated 4/25/03 11:54:36 AM, writes:
I recall an article from Bonsai Today where they did a root thread graft. * A
hole was drilled through the root of a trident maple. * Another trident was
threaded through. * Then when the graft was complete the upper portion of
the
threaded trident was cut off. * So it is possible to improve nebari by
thread
grafting.

The problem I have is with the definition. I know root grafting is done all
the time. However, my understanding is that a thread graft is a graft in
which part of the tree is threaded through another part while it is still
attached at the base. Would you call it a thread graft if you graft on
another tree?
Iris

Billy M. Rhodes 26-04-2003 11:32 AM

[IBC] root thread graft

In a message dated 4/25/2003 9:26:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

In some cases, they even tie a bunch of seedlings together, and in a few
years, you will have a nice thick trunk.

I have a Ficus grown this way. However if it is F. ben. or relative you
have to be careful when pruning that you don't take all of the foliage that
feeds one of the trunks because it might not resprout and I would think that
section of the trunk would eventually die. Of course, that might produce an
interesting effect in a plant that was a few years old.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast