Old 02-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Joe St. Lawrence

Default [IBC] Any beech growers out there?

Greetings,
I purchased a nice Fagus sylvatica the other day at our club
sale/swap that, upon transplanting, proved to have almost no roots at all.
Leaf buds were swelling, but the rotted roots fell-off in big clumps. Anyone
out there with experience on how much energy beech trees can pull from their
trunks? It's basically a giant cutting right now -- I've pruned the rotten
roots away (there might be a few living feeder roots); placed it in a free
draining, peaty mix; and pruned a few of the swelling buds so they don't
over-tax the moisture content of the tree (if any of them happen to open). I
have the sinking feeling that this may prove to be a big waste of time, but
feel duty bound to do what I can to save it. Thoughts? Words of hopeful
encouragement? Expressions of impending doom?
-joe
ottawa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Hmph. You may want to have a "gentle talk" with whoever sold you
that tree.

You've done what you can. Keep it in the shade. Water
sparingly. And don't be too hopeful.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Brent Walston

At 07:35 AM 5/2/03 -0400, Joe St. Lawrence wrote:
Greetings,
I purchased a nice Fagus sylvatica the other day at our club
sale/swap that, upon transplanting, proved to have almost no roots at all.
Leaf buds were swelling, but the rotted roots fell-off in big clumps. Anyone
out there with experience on how much energy beech trees can pull from their
trunks? It's basically a giant cutting right now -- I've pruned the rotten
roots away (there might be a few living feeder roots); placed it in a free
draining, peaty mix; and pruned a few of the swelling buds so they don't
over-tax the moisture content of the tree (if any of them happen to open).

Joe

This is not an uncommon occurance with Fagus sylvatica in containers.
Recovery is possible, but certainly not guaranteed. I'm a little worried
about the 'peaty' mix. Peat mixes have a habit of holding a lot of water,
even if they appear to drain well, and little air, which is the thing you
need most to generate a new root system. I have had a good deal of success
saving plants with depleted root systems by using a bonsai type mix, half
bark, half inorganic and only a little peat (5% by volume). This requires
that you watch the water carefully so they don't dry out. The nice thing is
that you can water very often, which in general is very good for the plant,
keeping it clean, humid, and pulling a lot of air into the mix. In a peaty
mix, you won't be able to water as often.

Keep it in light SHADE, only a few hours of very early morning direct
sunlight if any at all. No direct sunlight if the temperature is going to
be above about 70F. Keep it humid as possible by wetting the ground around
it and protecting it from wind. You can partially enclose it with a plastic
tent, but leave large openings so the air can circulate and it doesn't heat
up from greenhouse effects. Start a light feeding program right away.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++