GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Gingko Flame Style (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/2042-re-%5Bibc%5D-gingko-flame-style.html)

David J. Bockman 26-02-2003 04:52 PM

[IBC] Gingko Flame Style

I think 'flame style' is the natural result of sensible pruning of mature
ginko bonsai. One of the better discussions about ginko as bonsai takes
place in Mr. Kyuzo Murata's book 'Bonsai: Miniature Potted Trees'.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Joe St. Lawrence 27-02-2003 03:52 PM

[IBC] Gingko Flame Style

Another source to check-out is the Martin Treasure book (Bonsai Life
Histories, I think). He talks through the development of a large Ginkgo in
this style with photos of its development. (Not tremendously detailed given
the breadth of species in the book, but worth a look given the rarity of
articles on this species). (Off topic, I love the Styrax in the book).

International Bonsai also has an issue devoted to Ginkgo (in 1982 I
believe). It was still available for back order last time I checked. It does
not deal specifically with stumps, but has cultural advice, history etc....

-j
Ottawa

Randi wrote:
I want to develop an old gingko stump into the older "flame" style for

lack of a better description. Is anyone aware of any books that address
this style development?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++