Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Red pine question

HI
I have a red pine (multiflora) 2 needles since a few years ,a grafted
one.. this year also made plenty of yellow pollen cones soon all will
be gone , should I decandle completely or just cut back candles that
are too long or cut back long and leave weak ones.. ?
Some candles have blue violet mini pine *apples* should I leave these
candles untouched or are them just feminine flowers that will drop if
not fecundated ?

I think people are hesitating to answer because you've asked a
difficult question. Pines are the hardest (for me, anyhow) things to
train, because you have to make judgements about the vigor of the
tree, the vigor of the candles, the length of the candles if you
don't trim them, and the length if you *do*, and then the timing of
the trimming.

Read Brent's article:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pines.htm

and then ask any other questions you might have. I'm not going to
advise you until I've been doing pines for at least 10 more years!!!!
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: