GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] zelkova needs nebari help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/22011-%5Bibc%5D-zelkova-needs-nebari-help.html)

Craig Cowing 12-05-2003 01:44 PM

[IBC] zelkova needs nebari help

I have a zelkova that I bought last year for a good price ($25) from
someone who was getting out of bonsai. It needs work on the root base,
though. The tree was in a pot in the ground for several years and the
roots worked their way through the drainage hole. Somehow, the roots on
one side of the root base rotted, although the rest of the tree is very
healthy. I have allowed the branches to grow freely to heal the trunk
chop at the top. I'm wondering if it would work to do a sort of
approach graft at the base using a couple of these long shoots, and
basically have them ground layer themselves. Has anyone done this? Or,
should I take cuttings, allow them to grow for a year and do a graft
next year?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a