Old 12-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] zelkova needs nebari help

I have a zelkova that I bought last year for a good price ($25) from
someone who was getting out of bonsai. It needs work on the root base,
though. The tree was in a pot in the ground for several years and the
roots worked their way through the drainage hole. Somehow, the roots on
one side of the root base rotted, although the rest of the tree is very
healthy. I have allowed the branches to grow freely to heal the trunk
chop at the top. I'm wondering if it would work to do a sort of
approach graft at the base using a couple of these long shoots, and
basically have them ground layer themselves. Has anyone done this? Or,
should I take cuttings, allow them to grow for a year and do a graft
next year?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

More questions.....This time about nebari Mike Bonsai 4 26-01-2004 07:43 PM
[IBC] More questions.....This time about nebari David J. Bockman Bonsai 1 23-01-2004 03:43 AM
[IBC] I need quick help on zelkova Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 3 21-04-2003 07:44 PM
[IBC] Zelkova Seeds chris Bonsai 1 01-04-2003 01:56 PM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM