Old 26-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Buttonwood Question

I bought a small buttonwood today and am having trouble finding information
(on the internet) about its care.

There used to be a magazine called World Tropical Bonsai Forum, which devoted
two issues to buttonwood. Check with your nearest bonsai club. They may have
it. A recent issue of Bonsai Today had an article by Mary Miller.
Buttonwood likes warmth, high humidity, and plenty of fertilizer. Only repot in
summer. It has few pests or diseases, but I had one die on me from some kind of
rot. It needs good drainage.
The leaves are hard to reduce but it buds back well after pruning, even under
lights. Mary Miller is very nice about answering specific questions, but don't
expect her to tell you everything at once. Her address is .
Don't ask me how to style the fool thing. I got one last fall & took it to a
workshop, but I am still not sure where the front is. There are some good
pictures of buttonwood bonsai on the Web.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

buttonwood question Nina Bonsai 5 20-12-2004 02:49 PM
buttonwood question Nina Bonsai 0 20-12-2004 01:38 PM
[IBC] Buttonwood Question Steve Parr Bonsai 5 15-11-2004 03:29 AM
[IBC] Buttonwood Question Steve Parr Bonsai 0 15-11-2004 01:49 AM
[IBC] Buttonwood Question Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-05-2003 01:57 PM