Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] I have roots (maple cuttings)

Tony,

I suggest you let them grow for a year. You can start to fertilize lightly
and start moving them into the growing environment you will use for bonsai
maples in your climate (I would protect bonsai maple from the hottest sun
and Santa Ana winds in your region). If they grow like weeds you can pinch
out the apical leaves to force a bit more branching. Next spring you can
repot and spread the roots.

Marty

Old 29-05-2003, 01:32 PM
denebet

MartyWeiser wrote:

Tony,

I suggest you let them grow for a year. You can start to fertilize
lightly and start moving them into the growing environment you will use
for bonsai maples in your climate

Well, I do exactly the opposite:
I fertilize cuttings lightly as soon as I put them in the rooting mix and
quite heavily as soon as they have rooted. I usually prune the roots when
the new stems have reached about 10 cm (4 inches) to avoid the dominance of
one root, to have roots at only one level and so on (I think this is very
important for Burger maple because they have a tendancy to develop a few
big roots). After root pruning and potting I left them in the shade until
new leaves appear.

Alain
/ 'Vit preg brezhoneg g'ur pouezh-mouezh \
\ a feson, me ya da /
\ http://brezhonegbev.free.fr /