Old 06-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] pine propagation

I have a lovely black pine cultivar called Manshoho
that has very short needles. Later I will post a
picture of the one I developed under 6 inches in
height.

The second of these is in the ground. I want to style
it eventually, but I do want to see if it can be
propagated first. I will try some grafts this fall.
The plant has not tried to bloom and set cones, so no
seeds, also at 62 I don't think I want to do seeds!

I want to know if anyone has had success in either
airlayering or pine cuttings. This being a yatsabusa
variety, I am hoping it will be easier to root. (I
did root a cork pine from candle cuttings, but that
took 3 years.) What methods did you use? I don't
have a greenhouse or a misting system.

I inherited some deep plastic tubs from work. I was
thinking of drilling holes in the bottom and using
woodshavings/manure to create bottom heat, then
pearlite and peat as the mix above that. (I find
pearlite to not be as cold to the touch as say sand).
I could then put a clear plastic top over this
creating a terrarium.

Any ideas?

Kitsune Miko aka Kits

The pine and wind